Area university bathrooms attract ‘cruisers’

GW is not the only D.C. university experiencing lewd activity in its bathrooms.

According to Cruisingforsex.com, the same Web site that lists GW bathrooms as prime sites for sexual activity, three American University bathrooms and two Georgetown University bathrooms are considered very “cruisy.”

The first floor of Georgetown’s Lauinger Library is described in an August 2001 update to the site as “a great place to meet both hot undergrads and grad students.when all the hotties have breaks between their classes.”

Seekers of sexual activity are also encouraged to visit American’s Ward Circle building. The site suggests that cruisers “go to the sub-basement men’s room and wait in one of the last two stalls. The site also mentions “cruisy toilets” on the lower level and third floor of American’s Bender Library.

American officials said they are aware of the problem. Chief of Police Colleen Carson said sex in the university’s bathrooms has been an issue ever since she arrived 13 years ago but recent police action has curbed the activity.

“We certainly dealt with loitering, but after beefing up patrols and informing the community, we haven’t had any problems in over a year,” she said. Carlson also said the men involved in the lewd activity are “mostly non-students.”

Georgetown University’s Department of Public Safety had a different reaction. Sergeant Doris Bey, Georgetown’s supervisor of investigations, thanked The Hatchet for bringing the issue of bathroom sex to her attention.

“I’ve been here for about a year, and no complaints about the bathrooms have ever crossed my desk,” Bey said.

An officer at Georgetown who declined to be identified said that some students had brought the Cruisingforsex.com Web site to her attention two or three years ago after they had seen it publicized in local newspapers but no incidents have occurred to her knowledge.