Men’s soccer ends season with win

The GW men’s soccer team learned just before its game Friday that it could no longer qualify for the Atlantic 10 Championships. But the team showed there was still plenty to play for as it beat Duquesne 2-1 in double-overtime Friday and St. Bonaventure 3-1 Sunday at Mount Vernon.

Sunday’s affair was Senior day, but it was a sophomore who led GW to the win. Arnar Johannsson, a forward from Iceland, scored two second-half goals. His first was a header off a cross from senior Matthew Osborne in the 74th minute that gave GW a 2-1 advantage. Johannsson scored his second about seven minutes later when senior co-captain Michael Goldman found him on a cross to the middle. Johannsson put one past St. Bonaventure goalkeeper Mike Krupa for his 10th goal of the season, giving GW a 3-1 lead.

GW goalkeeper Nick Parypinski allowed just one goal on five shots. It came at the 18th minute and gave the Bonnies a 1-0 lead. Bonnies midfielder Kareem Reynolds found Anthony for the goal from the left side of the box.

The Colonials tied at the 31-minute mark when Osborne scored his 10th goal of the season off a pass from fellow Brit Matt Pilkington. The goal evened the game at one, where it would stand until the second half.

Friday’s victory over Duquesnnder difficult circumstances. Before the game the Colonials found out that their chances at the final qualifying spot for the A-10 playoffs were gone because Dayton beat Temple to secure its spot.

“I was pleased we won because it was very difficult (to find) motivation for the guys,” head coach George Lidster said. “We’re going nowhere, so I was pretty proud of them hanging in and winning.”

GW took the lead on a free kick by Pilkington. Starting from the top-right corner of the box, Pilkington lofted a shot over a wall of defenders and into the upper corner of the goal. It appeared that the Dukes goaltender never saw the ball.

GW goalkeeper Eric Lund, who made his first start on the season, did not allow a goal until late in the second half. With roughly three minutes remaining and the Dukes on the attack, Damian Pottinger hit a blast through the heart of the goal to even things up.

The first 15-minute overtime came and went with few scoring opportunities and no conversions. But just after Johannsson missed an open shot that Lidster said he could have made himself, Johannsson drilled a rocket past Dukes goalkeeper Terry McNelis from the top of the box for the 2-1 win in double overtime.

“We want to go out on a high,” Pilkington said. “That’s our motivation.”