Campus Briefs

Fire alarm causes New Hall flooding

New Hall residents were awakened at about 5:45 a.m. Sunday to blaring fire alarms and blinking emergency lights.

Students said two sprinklers activated on the sixth floor, flooded about six rooms, soaking five lower floors. Water and smoke damage, wet ceiling tiles and puddles were visible on the affected floors.

Sophomore Stuart White, a resident of room 607, said two sprinklers activated on his floor: one between the elevators and room 609, and one in front of room 610.

Sophomore Pippa Castiaux, a resident of room 609, said she found about an “inch or two” of standing water on her floor in the kitchen, living room and in one bedroom.

Residents of room 611 also found standing water in their room. Students in both rooms said housekeeping used vacuums to remove the standing water and University officials offered to house residents in a hotel and Mitchell Hall but all students declined.

Student CLLC staff members declined to comment on the cause of the flooding or the extent of the damage.

Students on the sixth floor said they were pleased by the quick action by housekeeping and University officials, who visited their rooms soon after fire officials allowed residents back in the building.

“Most of the students were just sleepy and said, ‘whoever did this was a real jerk,'” a sixth-floor resident said.

-Andrew Wiseman

Iranian Cultural Society holds party

The Iranian Cultural Society’s kick-off party Friday night displayed strong unity among students in the wake of Sept. 11. With free food, dancing and the music of DJ Du Jour, the ICS party also featured the Liquid Arts urban dance group.

After the Liquid Arts performance, the crowd of about 100 flooded the Hippodrome dance floor to groove to authentic Persian music organizers said young people in Iran would listen to.

Co-presidents Lissa Sakata and Ameneh Aminian said because the ICS executive board is more active this year than ever before, they couldn’t compare the party to past events.

“We have a lot of people who are really committed to the organization,” Sakata said. She said the ICS has about 200 members.

Students from American, Georgetown and George Mason Universities and the University of Maryland also attended the party.

-Kate Stepan

Trachtenberg receive honor for international efforts

University President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg received the “Key of Life” award Oct. 17 from Egypt’s International Economic Forum, recognizing his efforts to foster stronger U.S.-Egyptian relations.

“He was honored for his efforts to strengthen U.S.-Egyptian relations and because of initiatives (GW) has begun with various universities in Egypt to promote exchange of faculty or programs,” said Bob Ludwig, assistant director of media relations.

Trachtenberg hosted Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak in June 1999 and GW has coordinated a number of other programs with Egyptian institutions.

GW awaits test results

University officials said Friday they are still waiting for results from an anthrax test of the GW mailroom performed last week. Assistant Director of Media Relations Bob Ludwig said the private firm conducting the tests did not return the results because GW was one of many facilities they tested recently.

GW originally expected the tests within 72 hours, before the close of business Friday.
-Mosheh Oinounou