Stroman leads GW in sweep

The Colonials breezed by the weakest volleyball team in the conference Tuesday night, notching 53 kills and just 25 errors in their 3-0 sweep of La Salle. Freshman Britta Stroman led the Colonials with a match-high 14 kills in 23 attempts with just four errors for a .435 hitting percentage. GW stretched its win streak to 16 games against La Salle, which includes GW’s only other sweep this season.

It was a reassuring win for the Colonials, who had something to prove following last week’s slim 3-2 win over Fordham, the Atlantic 10’s second-most losing team.

On Tuesday, GW moved past La Salle 30-23, 30-25, 30-19, receiving a strong game from sophomore Ruth Lazzari, who contributed 13 kills, a match-high 18 digs and added a pair of block solos.

La Salle (9-19, 0-12 A-10), led by Lauren Woods’s 11 kills, dominated GW at the net with 12 total blocks, compared to GW’s eight. GW (6-13, 5-6 A-10) dominated every other part of the game and surpassed their average kills per game by nearly 4.

GW’s two recent wins represent a repeat of the team’s strong start to the A-10 season, when they won four-consecutive games following an 0-6 non-conference start.

The Colonials host Massachusetts this weekend and then begin a stretch of three games against Rhode Island, Dayton and Xavier, the top three teams in the conference. GW is winless against those teams this year.