Around Campus

SA meets student group leaders
More than 50 undergraduate student leaders attended the Student Leader Mixer in the Marvin Center Tuesday Night sponsored by the Student Association.

Vice president of Student Activities Zach Beyer said he organized the event “to meet representatives of the student body, so that we the leaders can represent them better.”

In past years, the SA has held pizza parties in their 4th floor Marvin Center office, but this year the SA wanted to create a more inviting atmosphere for conversation, comment and questions, Kapoor said. The mixer included hors d’oeuvres, a slide presentation and gifts provided by the SA.

SA Senator Dan Moss (U-SBPM) said the night was a success because it showed that the SA is there for students.

“Sometimes student groups get upset with the SA over financial issues, but I want the student leaders to get to know us. That’s what this event is for,” he said.

Some freshmen attended the mixer to find out more about their student leaders and how to get involved. Two freshmen from the Hall on Virginia Avenue – Ami Koldhekar and Marc Trometta – spoke with Zach Beyer about co-sponsoring a bus trip to New York. The art department arranged a day trip to the New York on Nov. 9, which currently has a waiting list of more than 30 students.

“We are looking into getting another bus,” Beyer said.

-Joe Gidjunis

GW gives back to community
Foggy Bottom Clean-Up, co-sponsored by the Student Association and the Residence Hall Association, will join GW students with community members this Saturday to beautify the Foggy Bottom neighborhood.

“I feel that a Foggy Bottom Clean-Up is a great initiative on the part of the student organizations to serve our home,” junior Sarah Venuto said in a press release.

Cleaning Foggy Bottom is an annual event that usually occurs in the spring, according to Alice Lingo, vice president of community affairs for the Student Association.

“We felt we needed to make a concerted effort this fall to link GW and the members of the community,” she said. She also said that another Foggy Bottom Clean-Up will be held in the spring.

Lingo said the Foggy Bottom Clean-Up is important because GW students have a lot in common with members of the surrounding community.

“The best way to foster a feeling of community is to work together to clean up,” she said.

Volunteers will meet at St. Mary’s Court, located at 725 24th St., at 1 p.m. Saturday, behind New Hall. T-shirts, cleaning supplies and pizza will be available for all participants.

ICS celebrates Persian culture

The Iranian Cultural Society will hold its 2001 kickoff party Saturday in the Hippodrome from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The party, ICS’s first event of the year, will feature a Persian DJ duo with hip-hop and international music.

Liquid Arts, a break-dance group, will also perform. ICS is expecting to attract many students from other universities in Maryland and Virginia.

“Our goal is to unite both Iranians and non-Iranians around campus,” said Lissa Sakata, senior and co-president of the ICS.

The Iranian Cultural Society has coordinated general body meetings and tables outside the Marvin Center this year, which have greatly increased membership. Sakata said the club hopes to attract new members with the kickoff party. The ICS currently has increased its membership totals from 15 to 50 this year.

“We want to increase awareness of Iranian culture at GW, not just increase membership,” Sakata said.

The ICS is also planning a cultural celebration called Shabeh Yalda Dec. 8 to celebrate the Winter Solstice, an important Iranian holiday. It will feature a fashion show, music and a dance performance.

Students view Holocaust tribute
GW Hillel and Zachov, GW’s Holocaust Remembrance Group, are co-hosting an event this weekend to view the NBC special “Uprising.” NBC will air the 2-day program Nov. 4 and 5 from 9 to 11 p.m. The special gives the stories of three Jewish resistance fighters in World War II.

Alena Reisman, junior and co-chair of Zachov, said all students are welcome to watch “Uprising” on Sunday or Monday at Hillel, located at 23rd and H streets.

There will be an open discussion following the viewing each evening, including refreshments.
-Amanda Mantone