Around Campus

Students make sandwiches for homeless

A Night to Give Back will feature a variety of volunteer activities as part of Volunteer Week on Friday. The event begins at 7 p.m. with a panel of former “Road Rules,” “Real World” and “Big Brother” cast members who will discuss community service, volunteerism and their own experiences with non-profit organizations.

Students will make greeting cards for children in hospitals and elderly D.C. residents, listen to music while making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for shelters and decorate a patch for a “closure quilt” that will be permanently displayed in the Marvin Center. Information about service organizations and how to get involved with community service will be offered throughout the event.

Students can also take part in a bowl-a-thon to raise money for Habitat for Humanity.

“We tried to create so many activities that everyone at GW could get involved in,” said graduate student Elizabeth Cox, who coordinated A Night to Give Back. “Our goal is for people to have fun and feel good about the work they’re doing.”
-Becky Guyon

Black student groups to host Halloween party

The Black Student Union and the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity will host a Halloween party in the Marvin Center ballroom Saturday. The event begins at 10 p.m. and will include a costume contest with a cash prize and a free grab-bag for the first 100 people who arrive. Disc jockey Reg West from New York City will play. Admission is $5 for general admission and $3 for BSU paid members and Greek-letter members.

Volunteers have Halloween fun with children

Children from Martha’s Table and the Northwest Settlement House will paint pumpkins, make masks, bowl and watch a magic show during Kid Fest on Saturday. The Residence Hall Association, Neighbor’s Project and Class Council organized the event as a part of Volunteer Week.

The event will last from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and will be followed by trick-or-treating in Madison, Schenley and Crawford halls.

-Becky Guyon

College politicos plan debate on president

College Democrats and College Republicans will debate the topic, “Is it appropriate to criticize the president during times of war?” Tuesday at 8 p.m. in the Marvin Center Amphitheater. The Parliamentary Debate Team is sponsoring this event which is the first in a series of on campus debates.

-Becky Guyon

MTV reality shows seek new faces

MTV will hold casting calls for “The Real World” and “Road Rules” Oct. 30 at the Rhino Bar and Pumphouse at 3295 M St. from 2-6 p.m. Interested applicants should be between ages 18 and 24 and bring a recent photo and picture ID to the casting call. Seven people will be chosen for the 12th season of the Real World. The location of the show is unconfirmed, said casting coordinator Shannon Powers. The previous season took place in Chicago. Powers said they are excited to meet students from D.C.

“Road Rules,” in its 11th season, traditionally features six people.

“We look for characters from real life; people with strong personalities who are unafraid to speak their minds,” said Jonathan Murray, executive producer of the shows, according to a press release.

-Katie Warchut

J Street adds new dishes to menu

New vegetarian and pasta options were added to the J Street menu Oct. 22. Vegetarian lasagna, eggplant and other vegetarian options have been added to the Cranberry Farms menu. The foods use to be offered at the vegetarian station, which was replaced by The Granary.

The Granary’s menu has also been changed to include one vegan or vegetarian salad option that will rotate weekly and another specialty vegetarian option that will rotate daily. This change will be implemented when The Granary’s Caesar salad menu ends in one week.

The Pan Geos pasta station will offer one basic pasta option that will rotate weekly and an “upscale” option that will rotate daily.

“We found that students thought the pasta was too much, and some had no idea what some of the ingredients were,” said Jared Levin, marketing director of Dining Services. “The staff will be able to learn how to do one pasta and have time to get used to it, which will improve speed of service and customer satisfaction.”

These changes were made after reviewing student surveys, Levin said.
“We will continue to make changes probably through out the course of the year until students are completely satisfied,” Levin said.

-Becky Guyon