Crew races top teams at Head of Charles

The men’s and women’s crew teams raced against international competition at the Head of the Charles Regatta in Cambridge, Mass. this weekend. The men finished 35th and the women finished 32nd against a field of more than 50 teams.

The women’s team, improving from a 43rd place finish last year, completed the race at 17:43. The women were the fastest A-10 school in the race, and they beat cross-town rival Georgetown.

The U.S. National team won the women’s race in 16:01 followed by Princeton University (16:10), The British National team (16:17), Ohio State University (16:30) and Yale University (16:34).

The men’s team, which finished 35th in 16:10, did not do as well as head coach Gene Kininmonth had hoped.

“We have a lot more talent and depth, but we did not open the season as we would have like to,” Kininmonth said.

Kininmonth added that his team had been racing well a week ago, but he thought having midterms so close to the team’s first race hindered its performance. Kininmonth also added that he has been changing the line up in the boat almost every day for the past week. Because of this the team raced this weekend with a line up they had never tried before.

The U.S. National team won the men’s race in 14:09 followed by the German National team (14:21), Harvard University (14:28), the Dutch National team (14:31) and the Canadian National team (14:32).