Student slated to run Olympic torch

It is a tradition that dates back to the first Olympics and a responsibility not entrusted to many. It is also an honor given to GW junior Jordan Usdan – the opportunity to carry the Olympic torch through the nation’s capital as it continues its 65 day route through 46 states to Salt Lake City, host of the 2002 Winter Olympics.

“No one believes me when I tell them that I’m going carry the torch,” Usdan said. “I still can’t even believe that I received such an official honor.”

D.C. Mayor Anthony Williams announced Oct. 10 Usdan, along with 16 others, will carry the torch. Usdan was asked to speak at the press conference held in the Mayor’s Ceremony Office by a representative of Coca-Cola, the company who that chose him.

The torch travels more than 13,500 miles, according to the Olympic Games Web site. More than 11,500 torchbearers carry the torch for about 0.2 miles each, which is equivalent to one lap around a track. The torch will begin its tour of the United States on Dec. 4 in Atlanta, the last place the Olympic flame was lit during the 1996 Summer Games. Usdan will run his part of the relay Dec. 21.

“This unique opportunity to usher the Olympic torch through Washington, D.C. will be one of the most unforgettable and significant moments in my life,” he said at the conference.

The Salt Lake Organizing Committee, Coca-Cola Company and Chevrolet Motor Division teamed up for the torch-bearing selection process. Last spring, the trio called for all nominees to submit a 50- to 100-word essay about inspiration to others, a local community, the Olympic movement or encountering and overcoming adversity.

The call for nominations was publicized on the companies’ Web sites and retail locations, in addition to various TV and radio networks.

“I was just sitting in my dorm room when I heard a commercial about it on TV,” Usdan said. “Since I was sitting by my computer, I just checked out the Web site, and later I applied.”

Usdan also said in his speech he was “honored and privileged, as well as humbled” by his selection. He said he was chosen due to his active involvement with service projects on campus.

Last year as Community Service Director for the Student Association, Usdan founded the GW Dance Marathon. “Making a miracle, one step at a time” is the motto of the event, but Usdan described the event as “one giant leap.”

The GW Dance Marathon, held last April, raised more than $8,000 for D.C.’s Children’s Hospital.

In his essay, Usdan said “fun” was his inspiration for starting the GW Dance Marathon.

“I thought GW was lacking a charity event that challenged students to help the community while they were having fun,” he said.

Each torch carried in the relay is different. Coca-Cola buys every torchbearer the exact three-foot long torch he or she carried. The torch travels through 46 states, including Alaska for the first time. It will also be transported by automobile, airplane, ship, dog sled, horse drawn sleigh, snowmobile and other forms of transportation.

“I will be able to display the torch either in my future home or office and tell about my experience as a torchbearer,” Usdan said.