DC Diary: Venturing into Annapolis

Thanks to the canceled IMF meetings, my roommate and I decided to make an adventure out of our weekend and take a short trip to the United States Naval Academy to visit some friends. I was really excited because I had never before seen either the Naval Academy or Annapolis.

Unfortunately, Annapolis is not easy to get to. We had to take the Orange line on the Metro to the last station, New Carrollton, and thankfully our friends picked us up. Otherwise, as we saw many doing, we would have had to take a $40 cab from the Metro to the academy.

As soon as we got to our hotel and checked in for the night, our adventure started with a tour of the Naval Academy. It doesn’t sound too adventurous, but it was definitely the most beautiful college campus I have seen.

The academy is located right on the Chesapeake Bay, with a beautiful view of the water. Walking around the campus you will see lots of men and women wearing their socks up around their calves. It’s not a fashion statement – they are poor freshmen forced to stick out!

Our friends decided to take us into the foyer of their dorm. My little sitting area in Fulbright Hall does not compare.

With nothing left to see at the academy, we decided to walk around Annapolis and explore. I was thrown into a fairy-tale world. I couldn’t help but fall in love with the little quaint shops and restaurants that surrounded the Main Street.

With a craving for ice cream, our two Navy friends took us to this little Italian restaurant by the harbor. Although it was freezing outside, we couldn’t help but indulge in sweet gelato. I opted for mint chocolate chip. We ate our ice cream on the pier, watching the sunset, something I don’t often get to see here in downtown D.C.

Annapolis is what I would call the perfect dating town. Couples were everywhere, sitting together by the water, cozy on their boats or just walking the streets of this romantic little town. The nightlife of Annapolis was just getting started. People roamed the streets, as BMWs and Mercedes looked aimlessly for parking spots. Limousines are a common commodity in Annapolis. In fact, they seem to be the main form of transportation to and from the yacht clubs. I learned that the hard way.

When my roommate and I got separated, I was walking the streets looking for her in the cold and she was riding in a limo. Yes, riding in a limo! As she was looking for me, a limo happened to stop and ask her and her friend if they wanted a ride while he waited for his customers to finish dinner. So while I was freezing and looking for her, she was in a limo having a private tour of the town. Did I mention she got a free ride in a limousine?

We eventually did find each other. Main Street was completely crowded by that time. Live music could be heard from the restaurants and bars. Midshipmen all dressed in their whites were out looking for some fun, definitely adding to the scenery.

It was brought to my attention that I could not leave Annapolis without having Sunday brunch at Buddy’s Crabs and Ribs restaurant. There was a 25-minute wait for a table, but it was worth it. I think I left five pounds heavier!

But after the ridiculous-sized meal, my weekend of discovering Annapolis did have to end, and my roommate and I vowed we would return.