Women’s Soccer Ends Conference Slide

It was a successful weekend for the women’s soccer team as the women picked up two conference wins against St. Joseph’s and Temple at home. The Colonials gained some ground in Atlantic 10 standings after ending a three-game conference slide. GW is now 2-3 in the A-10 and 5-6 overall.

Christine O’Malley made six saves and earned her first-career shutout in the team’s 2-0 win over St. Joseph’s Sunday. Sophomore Kim Warner and senior Jessica Sultzer combined for a goal apiece in the win.

Warner scored her team-leading seventh goal of the season when she found the top right corner of the goal at the 37th-minute. The shot, which gave GW a 1-0 lead, sailed just over the reach of Hawks goalkeeper Christy Ganc.

Warner then setup Sultzer in the middle of the box. Ganc scrambled but Sultzer had too much room and gave GW a 2-0 lead.

The Hawks staged a minor comeback in the second half but nothing got passed O’Malley, who saw 12 shots.

The Colonials found a tougher opponent in Temple Friday afternoon but battled their way to a 2-1 win. Senior Erin Coppedge scored the game-winning goal with 26 minutes remaining in the second half. The win marked the Colonials first A-10 victory.

Temple’s Jeanette Hibbs drew a foul and scored the ensuing penalty kick early on to give the Lady Owls a 1-0 lead.

The lead did not last long as the Colonials came bearing down on Lady Owls goalkeeper Jackie Mauro. Coppedge took a shot on Mauro that squirted loose. Junior midfielder Regina Jeffries was there to score her second goal of the season which tied the game.

The game remained tied through the second half. That’s when Warner served a long pass to Coppedge who put it away for the win.

O’Malley made five saves on 15 shots for the Colonials.