WEB EXCLUSIVE: Students enjoy free beer at Oktoberfest

Free Barbeque, beer, door prizes and a live German band were just a few of the highlights of the third-annual senior class Oktoberfest last Thursday.

About 600 seniors gathered on the third floor of the Marvin Center terrace to enjoy free Budweiser and Spaten beers, bratwursts and German chocolate cake during the official kickoff for the Senior Class Gift Campaign.

“This is the third year that we’ve done this event, and there’s never been a turnout like this,” said graduate student Joe Bondi, who helped coordinate the event.

Laughter, conversation and all out fun was the mood of the day at this the largest Oktoberfest yet.

“(It’s a) great event to see a lot of people that you don’t usually get to see,” Student Association President Roger Kapoor.

Kapoor, a senior who will continue to finish GW’s seven-year medical program, said it will be hard for him to walk away from the friends he has made as an undergraduate.

“I couldn’t imagine a greater student body,” Kapoor said. “I’m grateful for every moment of it.”

“It is really good that the class is coming to support one another,” senior Apoorva Sabnis said.

Many seniors reported they felt a sense of nostalgia for the limited time they have before they graduate.

“The thing that I will remember most are the friends that I made here,” senior Francine Martineau said. “Nothing could compare to the things that you share with your friends.”

Radha Rajan, chair of the Senior Class Council and the Class Gift Committee, said the groups will sponsor events to raise funds for the donation of the class gift tentatively scheduled for April 24.

The event was sponsored and paid for by GW’s development office and the Senior Class Council. Area restaurants and the GW Bookstore donated the door prizes, and Aramark catered the event, including the beer.

“(It is) rewarding to see (seniors) all together,” Bondi said.