GW prepares for Family Weekend

More than 3,000 parents and family members are expected to flock to D.C. for the annual GW Family Weekend, according to University estimations.

The University Club has responded by letting parents who are not members dine at the club throughout the weekend, said Mike Gargano, associate vice president of Student and Academic Support Services.

The Office of Parent Services sponsors Family Weekend, with some events coordinated by the Student Activities Center.

The weekend brought more than 2,800 family members to the area last year, Director of Parent Services Rodney Johnson said.

Main events include the Second Annual Silent Auction, the University Club’s Family Dinner, Midnight Madness, guest speaker Bill Press of CNN’s Crossfire, “A Night with Ray Charles” and an array of open houses.

“It is really important for parents and families to see the students and interact and touch base with faculty and staff,” Johnson said.

“There are a variety of significant things going on this weekend from all branches of the campus,” Gargano said. “Student associations, fraternities, sororities, sports teams and other students, faculty and staff are participating this weekend.”

The silent auction will take place Thursday at 8 p.m. in the Marvin Center Ballroom. Last year’s event held last year helped fund a new study lounge in Gelman Library.

Gargano said he is putting up a round of golf at his country club for bid this year.

“Some other things that I believe will be in the auction are dinners at some of the great restaurants in town and some special weekend getaways,” Gargano said.

Another event traditionally associated with Family Weekend is the annual SAC-sponsored Midnight Madness, which celebrates the opening of the Colonials’ Basketball season.

SAC Director Laura Taddeucci said Midnight Madness is designed to introduce players and coaches to the student body.

The weekend’s main event is “A Night with Ray Charles” – a sold-out Smith Center performance which will include seven of Charles’ musicians and a 40-piece orchestra composed of GW students and faculty.

“Twenty-four GW students and 16 faculty from the Music Department will accompany Charles. They were chosen through a selection process within the department,” Gargano said.

Families will be able to park on campus for $8, and gourmet meals are being offered to all interested parties through reservations at the University Club near Thurston Hall on Friday and Saturday.

“There are many highlights this weekend of significance, and we hope to bring the campus together in welcoming parents,” Gargano said.