Around Campus

Senior Class Gift Committee to meet at Oktoberfest

After two years of barbecues, the Senior Class Gift Committee and the Office of Development are organizing an Oktoberfest for seniors.

The event will be held Oct. 11 from 5 to 7 p.m. on the third floor Marvin Center terrace. The festival was formed in order to kick off the senior class gift campaign and has received a great response, said Joe Bondi, Senior Class Gift Committee advisor.

“We’ve got over 350 people responding,” Bondi said. “It’s been fantastic. We’re expecting about 400 people at the event.”

The festivities will include a live German band, a class gift beer stein for all seniors attending, door prizes and, of course, many beverages including beer.

Senior Andrew Reiter said he is very enthusiastic about the event. After all, Reiter said, “it’s free beer!”

-Jorge Hernadez

CLLC offers freshman newsletter

The office of Freshman Services in the Community Living and Learning Center created the Colonial Chronicle, a monthly online news publication that addresses issues freshmen face.

“The Colonial Chronicle is a good resource for first year students. It is sort of geared towards their experiences,” said Rebecca Sawyer, director of Freshman Services.

She said the publication, which was created last fall, focuses on first-year student stress, homesickness, what it is like to take college level exams and helping students’ transition from living at home to living at school.

Sawyer said the publication is dedicated to giving hall council a voice and is focused on the living and learning programs, since this involves almost 900 students of the freshman class.

The publication will be restricted to an online publication that can be found on the CLLC homepage at gwired.gwu.edu. The Colonial Chronicle is also available to all first year students in their residence halls through their Community Facilitators, who will post the newsletter on bulletin boards throughout the hall.

Stories can be submitted by emailing [email protected].

-Elizabeth Crawford

Spirit Week kicks off this week

GW kicked off its annual “Spirit Week” Oct. 8 with a mid-day bash in Kogan Plaza. Organized by the Student Activities Center, events will continue throughout the week, culminating with “Midnight Madness” on Friday night.

The planned events included a visit by the Allure magazine tour van and Retro Bowling at the Hippodrome on Oct. 9. A faculty and staff vs. students basketball game was held Oct. 10 and Oktoberfest will be held Oct. 11, for seniors only. In addition, a variety of other events will be held at J Street and other locations around campus throughout the week.
The annual “Capture the Spirit” photo contest will take place on Oct. 12. Students are encouraged to submit a photo of what they feel epitomizes school spirit. The winner gets a “night on the town” with 19 of his or her friends, courtesy of GW.

Monday’s event was “very successful,” said Nicole Macchione, director of the Spirit Program on campus. At the kick-off event, students were able to make wax hands, tie-dye shirts and decorate a giant graffiti wall.
Whereas some may attribute a lack of spirit to the absence of a football team or the spread out structure of the campus, others feel GW students do maintain a sense of school spirit.

“Even though I’ve only been here a month and a half, there seems to be a genuine spirit among GW students for their school and their fellow schoolmates,” freshman Ed Buckley said.

“Spirit comes in many different forms. School spirit is being proud of where you go to school,” Macchione said.

-Rachel Gould

GW Pride to celebrate National Coming Out Day

GW Pride, a gay and lesbian campus organization, will commemorate National Coming Out Day Thursday in Kogan Plaza.

Information tables distributing coming out kits will be set up in Kogan Plaza from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., said Elsie-Denise Lejano, the co-executive chairwoman of GW Pride. The kits contain information about resources for support groups and advice on how to come out of the closet.

“This is our first major event of the year,” Lejano said. “We have to come out just to show the GW community that we are here and to help people that have not come out yet feel more comfortable.”

Free condoms, candy and stickers will also be distributed, said Ryan Anderson, co-executive chair of GW Pride.

Joining the tables will be the Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance and Lambda Law from the George Washington University Law School.

“Last year six people came out to us on National Coming Out Day. There were people I didn’t know that came out,” Anderson said.

-Rati Bishnol