SEAS enrollment jumps 36 percent

Enrollment in the School of Engineering and Applied Science jumped 36 percent this year after the school offered more scholarships and improved recruitment efforts, SEAS Dean Timothy W. Tong said.

The engineering school enrolled 150 freshmen in 2001, compared to 110 last year after years of decreased enrollment, Tong said.

Tong took over last September and implemented several new procedures to increase SEAS recruitment efforts, including more personal contact and an increase in overall enthusiasm among students and faculty.

“I really feel the most important reason our recruitment efforts have been successful is because we now have a much closer working relationship with the Admissions Office in Rice Hall,” Tong said. “There is a lot of sharing of ideas.”

The school and the admissions have focused on increasing the amount of scholarship money offered by the University scholarship fund and improving the ways in which they offer it.

“Our offers are more targeted to students we think we have a better than good shot of recruiting,” Tong said.

About one third of the students admitted to SEAS have scholarships now, ranging from $1,000 to $20,000 a year, Tong said.

“We are keeping in touch with applicants a lot more than previous years,” Tong said. “We write students letters before admissions decisions are handed out to get them interested in the school early on.”

In order to get students and parents interested in applying to SEAS, the school invites all the admitted students to attend one of four receptions on campus. The receptions are spread out to allow most students the opportunity to attend.

Tong, department heads, faculty and current students all attend the receptions, and Tong said this makes students and their parents feel comfortable with the school.

Tong said he also feels the visits are important because it gives the prospective students a chance to see many of the upgraded laboratories in Tompkins Hall that leave an impressive image in the mind of the students.

In response to the increased enrollment, the school has hired five new professors in different departments and expects to hire at least a few more this year, Tong said.

While the computer science department, which includes 40 percent of SEAS students, has had the most success recruiting, Tong said he is confident other departments will begin to pick up as well.

“Parents at the reception commented how pleased they were with the whole school,” Tong said “It is important to parents that this is a place that will care for the wellbeing of their children and provide a good education for them.”

SEAS professors have also expressed their approval for improvements in the school.

“I think there is a true spirit of enthusiasm in our school,” computer science professor Dianne Martin said. “Even little things like T-shirts make it noticeable. We have been able to build a bond between students, and the faculty that has helped in all areas, including the recruiting area.”