Beyond the Beltway: Other outlets crucial for balanced news

(U-WIRE) ANN ARBOR, Mich. – In the days immediately following the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, major television networks and many cable channels dedicated round-the-clock coverage to the tragedy and the United States’ response to it. By now, even though coverage has tapered off on all but the major cable news channels like CNN and MSNBC, students can still expect to see a lot about “America’s New War” and the aftermath of the attack whenever they turn on their television sets.

As is to be expected, much of the coverage presents a decidedly mainstream American perspective. For example, what is broadcast on CNN that Americans watch is different than CNN International. Likewise, many European outlets, such as the British Broadcasting Corporation, with BBC America, have a more international scope on the news. Gaining a well-rounded global perspective on current affairs is crucial in forming opinions on the news.

Right now, for students to get a more global perspective, they must turn either to print or online media. Alternatively, they can watch the half hour of BBC World News aired late at night on public television. There is little else available in the form of outside reporting.

The University can help students get a more global view of the latest developments by opening some of its residence hall cable channels, commonly called “ghost channels,” to international broadcasts from the BBC, Independent Television News or others. Comcast, the area’s primary cable provider, should do the same.

Knowledge of viewpoints other than the mainstream American one is essential because it allows us to better gauge the long-term effects of any actions the United States takes, as well as the immediate repercussions they have throughout the world. Learning what our allies have to say on the issues would also help students be more informed and have a more balanced approach to analyzing the news.

Besides petitioning the University to air more international news outlets, students should go online and read a number of public policy magazines, conservative and liberal publications and international newspapers to gain a better perspective on the aftermath of Sept. 11.

By hearing different viewpoints and perspectives on the aftermath of Sept. 11, students will be better educated about world affairs. By doing that, individuals will be able to make independent decisions about the coming war, versus getting one side from mainstream American broadcast news.

-Staff Editorial
Michigan Daily (U. Michigan)