Volleyball outlasts UMBC

The GW volleyball team extended its winning streak to three games with a 3-2 victory over a surprisingly strong University of Maryland- Baltimore County team Tuesday evening. It was the final non-conference game of the season for the Colonials, and their first non-conference win.

After beginning the season with a six-game losing streak, the Colonials have lost only two games since defeating La Salle last week.

UMBC forced GW to its first five-game match of the season, winning a crucial game four 30-26 to keep the match alive. After losing the first game 25-30, GW won games two and three 30-22, 30-20. GW closed out the match winning game five 15-8.

Attack percentage was the Colonials advantage in game five. The women hit .238 as a team, while UMBC scored a -.091 percentage.

Sophomore Ruth Lazzari led the team with 26 digs as GW came within one dig shy of the school record with a team total 125.

While sophomore leadership has been the story early this season, GW received another strong performance from freshman Britta Stroman. Freshman Molly Law, back from an ankle injury, had her best collegiate game yet with 15 kills in 33 attacks. She also had 25 digs and 12 block assists.

Stroman, who was recently named Atlantic 10 Co-Rookie of the Week, racked up 15 kills in 33 attacks for a .364 attack percentage. She had 13 digs and a pair of block assists.

UMBC was led by Dana Cookson, who had 16 kills, and Jennifer Davis, who posted a match-high 27 digs.

Conference play is now underway for all A-10 teams. While the Colonials are one of only three undefeated teams in the conference, their toughest competition is yet to come.

While GW’s next conference rival, Fordham (5-4, 0-2 A-10), is a weaker A-10 team, Temple (10-2, 3-0 A-10) is right around the corner. The Colonials travel to Philadelphia Oct. 7 to take on the Owls. Temple remains the only A-10 team GW could not defeat last season.

The match against Temple will give GW a clue as to how it really stands in the conference. The Colonials swept a struggling La Salle team, and conquered Duquesne, a team that did not put up as much of a fight as expected. Although they are undefeated in the A-10, the Colonials have the second-lowest winning percentage in the conference to La Salle.

Stroman’s Rookie of the Week honors came after her key part in the Colonials wins over La Salle and Duquesne. She averaged three kills a game, racking up 12 total against La Salle. In the Duquesne contest, she had nine kills and a pair of block assists. She is currently leading the team in blocking and hitting percentage.

GW will travel to New York Friday to take on Fordham.