Latino fraternity works to expand

Latino fraternity La Unidad Latina, Fraternity, Inc. has only one remaining GW member after losing eight members to graduation in recent years. Rudy Alvarez, a junior and computer science major, is the sole member.
The fraternity was founded in 1982 at Cornell University. The Chi chapter was established in 1997 to include GW, American and Georgetown universities.

“Due to the small Latino population at George Washington, it is very tough to recruit new brothers,” Alvarez said.

GW’s Hispanic population is 5 percent, according to information submitted to U.S. News and World Report.

Lambda Upsilon Lambda has increased its membership in the D.C. area by branching out to other chapters at George Mason University and University of Maryland. Overall, there are 40 member in the area, including 19 undergraduate students.

Lambda Upsilon Lambda has the same rush process as traditionally black fraternities. Rather than throwing parties, La Unidad Latina hosts information sessions for anyone interested.

Events are planned such as step-and-stroll shows in which members of the fraternity form a straight line and perform synchronized dances or steps. For more information e-mail Alvarez at [email protected].

-Michael Augello