Women’s soccer loses to Maryland

The GW women’s soccer team stood its ground in College Park, Md., but suffered a 2-0 loss after failing to convert any of the team’s seven scoring chances. GW goalkeeper Christine O’Malley made 11 saves on Maryland’s 27 shots but was beaten twice by junior Kim King.

Despite the loss, head coach Tanya Vogel said she was pleased with her team’s performance against a stronger Maryland team.

“(We) fought and did a great job,” Vogel said. “Last year against this kind of team, we would have struggled. It is only a matter of time before we can beat some of the top 20 teams. GW made a statement, and I am extremely pleased,” she said.

With their second consecutive road loss, the Colonials will head into conference play with a losing record (2-3). GW travels to Richmond for a Monday afternoon game against the Atlantic 10 Conference’s newest member.

GW stayed close for much of the first half against Maryland, playing unfazed despite the stronger Terps. The driving force behind GW’s solid play was defense, led by sophomore Caite Terranova and senior Jessica Sultzer.

“They set the tone for the game,” GW head coach Tanya Vogel said. “They inspired the defense and the rest of the team.”

It took 37 minutes before King was able to break through the Colonials defense, firing a deflected corner kick past O’Malley.

The Colonials, who took only three shots in the first half, never found a smooth scoring chance until later in the game.

Early in the second half, down by only one goal, sophomore Kim Warner crossed the ball from the end line to teammate Angelica Caramanica, giving GW its best scoring opportunity. Caramanica, who was positioned in front of the goal, launched the ball at goalkeeper Ali Wolff who made the save, crushing an optimal scoring opportunity.

Vogel said it looked like Maryland found some inspiration from that save and rebounded with more shots on goal and an increased aggressive style of play.

Ten minutes later, King gave the Terps an insurance goal at the 67th-minute when she beat O’Malley from the end line. The Terps went up 2-0 and King hadn’t missed a shot all day.

Despite allowing two goals from King, O’Malley had a strong performance as she finished with 11 saves on 26 shots. Maryland out-shot GW 26-10 while firing 13 of those shots on goal.

Going into the conference play with a losing record (both shutouts), Vogel said the Colonials must pick themselves up and refine their play before the Monday evening game.

“We need to get better each day and pick our mentality up a notch,” Vogel said. “I believe we can do it.”