Around Campus

Mourners remember victims at Lincoln Memorial

Speakers addressed religious tolerance when about 350 people gathered at the Lincoln Memorial Sunday to mourn those who perished in the Sept. 11 terrorist acts.

The interfaith memorial was followed by a vigil. Featuring speakers of different religious backgrounds, the memorial focused on religious tolerance and brotherhood.

Rangina Hamidi, a woman from Afghanistan who spoke at the rally, said terrorism has no place in any society or culture.

The American Red Cross sponsored the event and set out donation boxes to raise funds for disaster victims.

Freshman Rachel Medwim said she was touring the monuments when she saw the memorial service. As a member of GW Hillel, Medwim said she feels “great that different faiths are able to come together after all that has happened.”

Speakers represented Judaism, Protestantism, Catholicism, Islam and Sikhism

Linda C. Mathes, D.C. chapter CEO of the American Red Cross, said she visited the Pentagon and World Trade Center following the terrorist acts. She noted the importance of student efforts across the country and GW.

“Many students came forward quickly,” Mathes said. “They acted, they gave, they put down their books to make a big difference. I would ask them to keep on making that difference.”

-Sarah Feldman

Greek-letter groups wrap up rush

Fraternities and sororities completed their official recruitment period this weekend and reported a growth in most chapter pledge classes since last year.

Pledges now have about six weeks to decide to join the Greek-letter organizations that accepted them.

Jared David, president of the Interfraternity Council, said fraternity rush turnout has increased among upperclassmen and all of the chapter events have had higher attendance than recent years.

“From talking to other presidents, it seems like our numbers are pretty much rising across the board in terms of rush,” Tau Kappa Epsilon President Dan Ericson said. “And I think that definitely can be an exciting indication of things to come for the GW Greek community.”

Sorority leaders said they have also seen interest grow.

“It has been something we’ve been working on for years,” Phi Sigma Sigma Recruitment Chair Alice Lingo said. “We are at the peak of our game.”

Lingo said Phi Sigma Sigma recruited more students than past years, but she could not provide specific numbers.

Throughout rush week, fraternities hosted nightly events for prospective members in places such as Hooters, pool halls and their houses.

Some fraternities continued rush traditions, such as Tau Kappa Epsilon, which had Old Glory cater an event for a second year. Some chapters added new events, such as Lambda Chi Alpha’s “Lindy’s at the House.”

Sigma Phi Epsilon president Joseph DePaola said his chapter also held a recruitment seminar to tell prospective pledges of what would be expected of them once they joined the fraternity.

Sorority have a more formal process for recruitment than fraternities. Prospective members visit all of the sororities the first night, then sororities list the women they are interested in while prospective members narrow down the sororities they like. Lists are matched up and, as the week goes on, the women narrow their lists down to two sororities.

Sorority recruits met with their top two choices Saturday evening for “preference night” and received their bids, or invitations to join a group, Sunday.

-Heather Sala

SA pushes back budget deadline

The Student Association finance committee decided last week to extend the deadline for registered student group budget submissions, SA Executive President Josh Singer said.

The budgets, which were due to the Finance Committee by last Friday, are now due Sept. 27 at 5 p.m.

Singer said the events since Sept. 11 have made the extension necessary.

After turning in their budgets to Marvin Center room 424 or [email protected], groups must sign up for a 10-minute meeting with the Finance Committee to discuss their group’s allocations.

– Jason Steinhardt