Letter to the Editor: Responding to terror

There have been few events in world history that compare to the tragedy that befell our nation Sept. 11. But beyond the tangible losses of buildings and people, our generation lost an innocence we have carried throughout our lives.

Some of our earliest memories are of the end of the Cold War, thought by most at the time to be the last great global conflict. We grew up in a time of great prosperity, where war has been barely more than a page in our history books. Now, however, we face the daunting realization that our borders provide no protection against hatred and malice. And once again our nation has been called up to defend the cause of freedom and democracy throughout the world.

The last generation that faced such turmoil is now commonly referred to as the Greatest Generation. I would not say our generation is ready to fill the shoes left by that great group, but what I have seen since the disaster gives me hope that we are willing to try.

As soon as the initial shock of the catastrophe had passed, I was inundated with phone calls and e-mails from students looking to help. Students called upon us to organize the Sept. 12 vigil, and many arrived to the event after spending five hours in line waiting to give blood.

The student response has been so strong on this campus, and we are not done yet. Our Points To Help program will allow any student to donate food points to the search and rescue efforts in New York and here in D.C. I predict with certainty that this will be one of the largest donation drives in GW history.

We students are ready to accept our responsibility as defenders of the ideals and values that make our nation strong. We may have lost our innocence, but we have grown up fast. And we are ready to do our part.

-Roger Kapoor
president,
Student Association