Forum: Rogue chapters corrupt

I should explain what it means to be a social fraternity. Never giving up individual principles, young men form a bond based on a commitment to an additional set of values. The purpose is to prepare them for life within a changing world among persons of diverse roots experiencing compromise and understanding. These values separate fraternal bonds of brotherhood from bonds of independent friendships.

To call the Washington City Rho chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon a fraternity is a farce. At best their members belong to a boys club with a tree house in GW’s backyard – albeit a nice tree house. The same goes for another unrecognized chapter, the so-called Zeta Beta Tau colony, a hazed baby born retarded of a crowded gene pool.

Last spring, after meeting with Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s former president to discuss the chapter regaining Interfraternity Council recognition, the chapter’s pledge class tried to force him into a Jeep and kidnap him. After he struggled free and refused to go with them, one pledge protested, “But we have this list of stuff to do and if we don’t do it, we won’t get in” – a grotesque demonstration of hazing.

This is their “tradition.” This is the “building block of the fraternity.” No wonder they don’t “see coming back on campus happening,” as their current president said in a recent Hatchet article (“Sigma Alpha Epsilon renews house, image,” Aug. 30, p. 1).

Suggesting Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Zeta Beta Tau or any other unrecognized fraternity operate “in basically the same way as the IFC recognized fraternities” is false. GW’s IFC is a cooperative association of 10 fraternities and their 450 members. The “political aspects” of the IFC concern sincere dedication to academic achievement, community service, social affairs and values-based action.

The responsibility to follow rules and regulations issued by universities and Greek councils is not difficult. Policies that govern Greek life are based on common sense, brotherhood and national insurance policies made necessary because of liabilities created by our predecessors. But this does not mean we cannot have parties or a good time. All it means is that we conduct ourselves responsibly and respect our community’s obligations.

There is clearly something amiss with unrecognized chapters like Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Zeta Beta Tau if they lack the courage and integrity to become a part of the recognized Greek community. It is too simple to say they have no values. Individuals who choose to join and remain members of those two groups are free to do so, but they are not true gentlemen. They are not a part of the Greek-letter community. They get no respect from any upstanding man or woman on this campus. And they get no sympathy from me.

-The writer is IFC president.