WEB EXCLUSIVE: Cosby sentenced to 900 days

Posted 12:35 p.m. Sept. 18- Former GW basketball player Attila Cosby was sentenced to 900 days in jail Tuesday for sexually assaulting an alleged prostitute last year.

Cosby will serve two years and four months in jail after already serving two months while he awaited his sentencing this summer.

D.C. Superior Court judge Neal E. Kravitz handed Cosby a 180-day sentence each for five misdemeanor charges:

o sexual abuse with a broomstick, which was inserted in the victim’s vagina
o attempted possession of a prohibited weapon, a gun, used to force oral sex
o attempted threat to kill the victim inside Cosby’s Guthridge Hall room
o assault with implied threats to hit or assault the victim with a broomstick
o attempted possession of a prohibited weapon, a broomstick, for unlawful use

The other two misdemeanor charges Cosby was convicted of July 17 carried lighter sentences, including 120 days for stealing a roll of quarters from the victim and 60 days for attempted threat after threatening harm to the victim if she called the police. The sentence for threats with a broomstick and attempted possession of a prohibited weapon will run concurrently, meaning Cosby will serve both 180-day sentences simultaneously.

After hearing pleas from the defense to give Cosby a second chance, D.C. Superior Court judge Neal E. Kravitz said the GW student, who was suspended after his conviction, may have gotten a light sentence because U.S. attorneys filed misdemeanor charges carrying lighter punishments apparently to avoid a jury trial.

Kravitz said Cosby deserves more than 180 days for charges including sexual assault. He said he decided against making up some of the the difference by giving Cosby more time on the two lesser charges that do not warrant the full 180 days.

After the hearing, Cosby’s lawyer Billy Martin said he was “unhappy that the judge didn’t offer (Cosby) a second chance.”

Editor’s Note: another update will be available at 7 p.m.