News Briefs

University cancels Alumni Weekend

Alumni Weekend is cancelled due to Tuesday’s tragedy. Events were scheduled for Sept. 14-16, the University announced Wednesday.

The School of Medicine and Health Sciences convocation scheduled for Sept. 14 and the Graduate School of Education and Human Development’s “New Direction” conference scheduled for Sept. 15 will still be held.

Alumni Weekend officials are still deciding if the luncheon for Law School faculty and awardees and the Law School awards dinner will go on as scheduled.

All other reunions and events have been rescheduled to Alumni Weekend 2002.

-Becky Guyon

Students, community dislike alcohol law

In its first month of enforcement, D.C.’s new Alcohol Beverage Control law is winning few student and business supporters.

The new law, which went into effect Aug. 1, forbids the sale of alcohol after 10 p.m. Some local storeowners have said the new law hampers their business.

Afnan Dirawi, manager of Foggy Bottom Grocery on F Street, described the new law as “very bad for business.”

Dirawi said business at Foggy Bottom drops “about 60 percent” after 10 p.m.

“We might start closing early,” he said.

The law is also unpopular with students.

“I don’t appreciate the government pushing these puritanical morals on everyone,” senior Toby Sayre said, adding that the law is an inconvenience.

Foggy Bottom Grocery is a Class B store, which was previously allowed to sell alcohol until midnight, although it only stayed open until 11 p.m. Popular liquor stores in the Foggy Bottom area, such as Tokay Liquors in Columbia Plaza and Riverside Liquors on E Street, are Class A stores that have always only stayed open until 9 p.m.

Robert Fischer of Riverside Liquors said his store is not affected by the new law.

“It’s stores like Foggy Bottom that really feel it because after we closed, people would go there,” he said. “Now they only have one hour to get that business instead of two.”

Fischer said D.C. liquor stores on the borders of Maryland and Virginia that tend to stay open later are most affected by the law.

“The city and the stores are both losing money,” Dirawi said. “I’d like to start a petition with my customers and see if we can get the city to change its mind.”

-Ross Rapoport

Sigma Nu plans blood drive

Sigma Nu will sponsor a Red Cross blood drive Sept. 20 at the Hall on Virginia Avenue from noon to 5 p.m. The drive was scheduled before attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon.

Sigma Nu has been holding blood drives every semester for the past two years as a part of rush week activities, President Will McElwaine said.

Last year the drive raised about 40 units of blood, McElwaine said. The group hopes to raise 65 units, the maximum amount they would be able to raise during that time period. They need 100 donors to reach their goal.

“The goal is to be efficient,” McElwaine said. “We will sign people up ahead of time for a specific time period when they can come and donate.”

People can sign up to give blood at the Marvin Center, and members will knock on doors in residence halls.

-Becky Guyon

SMPA pushes back deadline

The deadline for undergraduate applications to the School of Media and Public Affairs changed to Oct. 3 because the original deadline fell during the five days the University will be closed for anticipated IMF/World Bank protests.
Students who intend to major in political communications, journalism and electronic media must apply to SMPA the first semester of their sophomore year. Part I of GW’s application packet must be completed along with an additional essay specified in Part II of the application.

-Becky Guyon

Recess to perform Friday

Improv comedy group Recess will perform at midnight Friday. The show will be in Dorothy Marvin Betts Theater and costs $3.
Recess will also have auditions to join the group Monday and Wednesday on Kogan Plaza. Auditions begin at 8:47 p.m. both days.

-Kate Stepan

Upcoming meetings:

The Philippine Cultural Society will meet Sept. 13 at 8 p.m. in the Thurston Piano Lounge. The meeting will include a potluck dinner, games and discussions about culture.