WEB EXCLUSIVE: GW cancels classes after terrorist attacks

Posted 11:50 a.m. Sept. 11– All classes and evening events are suspended as of 11 a.m. Tuesday, GW announced at about 11:20 a.m. GW is in a heightened state of emergency as a result of possible terrorist attacks at the Pentagon in Arlington, Va. and the World Trade Center in New York City, said Sandy Holland, assistant vice president of communications.

University employees are on liberal leave for the rest of the day, meaning they can leave without permission from a supervisor.

All residence halls will remain open. Phones are on “overload,” Holland said, and students will have to wait for the phone traffic to die down.

GW urges all students, faculty and staff to be cautious and report any unusual activity to the University Police Department at 994-6111. Any further changes will be on the recorded information line, 994-5050.

No victims are being treated at GW Hospital, a hospital official said, because ambulances can’t cross the Memorial Bridge.

Other universities that have cancelled classes as of 12 p.m. included Johns Hopkins, Catholic, Howard, American and George Mason – Arlington campus, University of Maryland and University College, and University of Virginia – Northern campus, according to News Channel 8.

See U-Wire DC Bureau for more info: Breaking News