SA president reaches out

Student Association President Roger Kapoor has been making progress on fulfilling his campaign promise to “put the `you’ back in GWU,” after implementing changes and showcasing his comedic talent over the summer and during Welcome Week.

Kapoor said he is making the SA a bigger part of students’ daily lives while attempting to involve the Mount Vernon Campus more, working to improve dining options and taking steps to bolster campus security.

Kapoor said the Gilligan’s Island Luau at Mount Vernon, an SA-sponsored Welcome Week event, was “absolutely fantastic” and drew more than 400 people.

“We were really proud to follow through on our goal to have a higher
role on the Mount Vernon campus,” he said.

To make Mount Vernon students feel more welcome, Kapoor said he will make good on a promise to spend one-third of his office hours there. He said he also plans to hold some SA meetings on the newly co-ed campus.

Kapoor also said the SA is looking into creating a 24-hour shuttle that would run between the two sites. The current shuttle operates Monday through Thrusday 7 a.m.-2 a.m. It runs until 3 a.m. Friday and Saturday.

Kapoor pointed to the new campus dining options as evidence of the SA at work. Over the summer, GW placed an Einstein’s Bagel Bros in the Health and Wellness Center and express stations for coffee and pastries in Funger and Gelman among other changes.

He said SA Dining Services Chair Eric Daleo, a former Hatchet staff writer, met with Dining Services last spring and over the summer to bring student concerns to GW officials.

“I still feel like we need to work on vegetarian options,” Kapoor said.
Kapoor, who cited student apathy about the SA in his campaign as something he would like to decrease, said he worked this summer to talk to members of the student body.

Kapoor said Alice Lingo, SA vice president for community affairs, attends every meeting of the Foggy Bottom Association to represent student voice at meetings.

“I myself have attended various meetings to show that students are interested in what happens in the neighborhood and show that we care (and) listen to their concerns,” he said.

Kapoor said he plans to meet with representatives from each residence hall in coming months. The SA was more active than in years past during Colonial Inauguration, Kapoor said, telling incoming freshmen about SA services.

Kapoor said he met with University Police Director Dolores Stafford before the close of school last year to discuss the campus security issues he addressed in his campaign. He said students should begin to see quicker, more efficient service from the Colonial Shuttle and 4-RIDE.

Kapoor said he is coming through with campaign pledges.

“I can honestly say that I have enjoyed every moment of it so far,” said Kapoor, referring to his presidency. “I will work as hard as I can to live up to the expectations of those who cast their ballots for me.”