Around Campus Briefs

GW remains in second tier

GW failed to make the top tier of U.S. News and World Report’s 50 best colleges for the third year in a row.

The rankings, released Sunday, rate 249 doctoral universities, which offer a full range of undergraduate majors, master’s and doctoral degrees and emphasize faculty research.

GW ranked 50th in 1998 and 46th in 1997.

The rankings are based on academic reputation, retention rate, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, graduation rate performance and alumni giving rate.

GW’s academic reputation score, which carries the most weight, was 3.4 out of 5 possible points, one-tenth of a point higher than last year.

GW’s academic score is the same as Wake Forest University in North Carolina and University of Rochester in New York in the top tier. Its score is also similar to Boston University and Virginia Tech in the second tier.

GW maintained its middle ground among D.C. schools. Georgetown ranked 23, with a reputation score of 4.0. University of Maryland’s score was 3.7, while American and Howard universities received 2.9.

The business program at GW is ranked 44 and international business is ranked 12 among colleges in its category. The engineering program is ranked 96.
– Katie Warchut

GW hosts CNN’s “Crossfire”

CNN’s “Crossfire” will broadcast live from the Media and Public Affairs building’s Jack Morton Auditorium Sept. 17 to 21.

CNN executives contacted GW about broadcasting the show live from the new MPA building, Public Affairs Specialist Eric Solomon said.

The show’s third visit to GW will mark the MPA building’s first live network television production.

“Taking `Crossfire’ to GW is always a great highlight for the program each year,” Executive Producer Chris Guarino said. “Bill (Press) and

Tucker (Carlson) are excited to spend a week in a new venue with what is always a lively audience and both are ready to let the sparks fly.”

Each of the five 30-minute shows will begin at 7:30 p.m.

Tickets, which are free to students with a GWorld card, are available now at Ticketmaster on the second floor of the Marvin Center.

Guests appearing on Crossfire’s five-day stint on campus have not been finalized.
-Jason Safdi?

GW hosts Career Campaign

GW Career Campaign 2001, which includes job fairs, resume assistance and other workshops sponsored by the GW Career Center begins Monday and will continue through Sept. 28.

A number of services and workshops are offered during the career campaign to help students begin thinking about their life after college and to make students aware of the services provided by the Career Center.

“This is our way of encouraging students to get involved and be proactive in their job search process,” Employer Relations Coordinator Anthony Arcieri said.

The main event of the Career Campaign 2001 will be the Business and Technical Career Fair to be held Sept. 20 in the Smith Center from 2 to 6 p.m. The event will provide students with information regarding full time, part time, co-op and internship opportunities.

Resume Madness will take place Monday from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the Marvin Center Ballroom, providing an opportunity for students to have their resumes critiqued by employers during one-on-one consulting sessions.

Employers from companies in all areas will be coming to campus to interview students for possible employment as part of the On-Campus Recruiting Program. OCR Orientation is now being offered in the Career Center to introduce students to the program and registration is available online at the Career Center Web site.

New to the Career Campaign this year is CareerSearch, a database that consists of more than one million employers for students to locate job openings.

“This system allows students to research career fields and jobs in particular career fields, and then be matched with employers all over the nation,” Arcieri said.

“Working while in school has been a great experience for me because it taught me important time management skills that are necessary to keep up with classes and a job,” sophomore Sarah Pzscolka said.

For more information visit www.gwu.edu/~career.
-Lauren Bernstein