Student alleges MPD assault

Metropolitan Police arrested a Sigma Alpha Epsilon member early Friday morning for allegedly assaulting an officer after an altercation that resulted in injuries.

The student, a junior and officer in the fraternity who wished to remain anonymous, said an MPD officer assaulted him unprovoked outside the fraternity’s house. He said the officer hit him in the chin after attempting to force his way into the house, causing the student to fall to the ground. The student said he blocked the front doorway because officers offered no warrant to enter.

The student had visible scratches on his chin Monday and was treated at the GW Hospital for a fractured index finger Friday.

Metropolitan Police Department officials could not be reached for comment.

During his arraignment Friday, charges were reduced from felony assault on an officer to misdemeanor simple assault, the student said.

Officers approached the 2034 G St. house at about 2 a.m. and asked to enter, the student said. When the student refused, he said, an officer approached him and caused their chests to make contact. The student said he was pushed to the ground and hand-cuffed. He was released from jail later that day, he said.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon President Andrew Hopkins said the incident occurred as fraternity members returned from bars. He said 35 to 40 people were in the house when 10 to 12 MPD officers pulled up to the house in seven police cars.

Hopkins said witnesses included at least three Delta Tau Delta members and Sigma Alpha Epsilon alumnus Andrew Burr, a GW Law School student. Witnesses from Delta Tau Delta could not be reached for comment.

The student said Burr filed a complaint against the MPD officer Friday. The assault case is currently scheduled for trial Oct. 23.

“In my time this has never happened before,” Hopkins said.