Staff Editorial: Caution on Campus

A fundamental responsibility of government – and of the University – is to protect the lives of those in its care. Creating or perpetuating dangerous conditions runs counter to that goal. Construction on and around GW’s campus has created hazards to the University community and local residents. Other pre-existing conditions along the streets of Foggy Bottom, such as dangerous intersections, put everyone at risk.

GW’s traffic problems can and should be solved. Improving the coordination between the University and the city, upgrading stoplights and stop signs at intersections and ensuring safe walkways around construction sights are just a few strategies that could enhance the safety of GW’s pedestrians.

Steps must be taken to minimize necessary disruptions. Just last week workers upgrading sidewalks and gutters along H Street blocked the entrance to the Marvin Center. For three days, what students described as a “trench” blocked the only open entrance to the building housing the bookstore, the main campus dining facility and a number of other heavily used areas. University Police officers assisting with crowd control was a good emergency measure, but the whole mess could have been improved with more planning.

Other problems exist on campus, too. The intersection at 21st and F Streets is only a two-way stop. Cars on 21st Street fly through the intersection, endangering students crossing the street, one of whom was struck by a car there last year. At the very least, stop signs should be placed on 21st Street to counter this problem.

With two new residence halls situated on 24th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, the nearby intersection of New Hampshire Avenue, 24th and Eye Streets now has more pedestrian traffic than ever before. The stop signs there now are confusing to drivers. Placing stoplights and crosswalk signals at the intersection would improve traffic flow and protect pedestrians.

GW prides itself on its urban location, but the University must work with the District government to improve pedestrian safety on campus. Failing to improve unsafe intersections and creating dangerous conditions around construction sites endangers lives.