Staff Editorial: Book smart

Lines at the GW Bookstore are nothing new. And they probably will not disappear in the future. But what has improved over recent years are the strategies the bookstore employs to deal with the crush of students. These new policies have eased congestion and helped students cope with what can be a stressful experience.

As GW attempts to accommodate 300 more freshmen than expected with a high percentage of returning students, few at GW are under the illusion that the campus is not overcrowded. The four classes now occupying the University are successively the largest in GW history. Every year, as students enrolled, administrators praised the size of each class and talked about improvements in everything from test scores to diversity. But expansion of core service areas has not kept pace with rising enrollment, at least until now.

The bookstore was one of those overtaxed resources that experienced what could only be called breakdowns during past years under the strain of rising enrollment. But this summer, the textbook area on the lower level was remodeled to increase shelf space and allow for easier navigation of the aisles. And the improvements seem to work. Gone are the piles of textbooks clogging aisles and congesting shelves.

The expanded upper level area where students store their book bags also helps ease congestion. In prior years, book bags were stored within the retail space, further clogging a crowded situation. Now, students can deposit their belongings before they enter the store, further freeing up space.

But students still experience some problems. Courses sometimes run out of books. The checkout line is still long, occasionally winding down the stairs into the textbook area. These are unavoidable snags in a system that works remarkably well. If professors order enough books and order them early – and then refrain from over-enrolling their course sections by signing students in – chances are the books will be on the shelves when students need them.

To avoid long lines, students should check out any of the online booksellers, including the bookstore’s own Web site, www.efollet.com. Despite whatever small hindrances exist at the bookstore, the system this year is working.