GW crowd challenges Dr. Drew

GW hosted its very own “Loveline” Thursday evening in Lisner Auditorium, when Dr. Drew Pinsky doled out expert advice to an audience of almost 1,000 sexually curious students.

The evening was filled with laughter and good fun, and the theme of the night was somewhat like the Destiny’s Child song “Independent Women.”

GW women raised their hands with questions and comments ranging from the significance of Cosmopolitan magazine to more intimate questions about sex.

Dr. Drew spoke for the men in the audience when he said, “Don’t hate us because we’re lame.”

When asked why some guys are so enthralled by lesbians, he said, “One is good; two is better.”

Dr. Drew, who co-hosts MTV show “Loveline” with Adam Carolla, uses his medical background to facilitate his unique job. He is a board-certified internist and addictionologist based in Pasadena, Calif.

After majoring in biology at Amherst College in Massachusetts and receiving his medical degree and residency from the University of Southern California School of Medicine, Dr. Drew said he never thought he would end up working on the radio.

“College teaches you many things, but it doesn’t train you about instincts,” he said. Dr. Drew seemed adamant about telling students in the audience how important it is to follow one’s instincts and experience what life has to offer.

He told students about his background before moving on to their “perverse questions.”

Dr. Drew said it was only by a whim that in 1983 he began working for the small K-ROCK radio station in Los Angeles. His friends persuaded him to do a show in which people called in and asked questions about relationships, sex and sexually transmitted diseases. The show was called “Ask a Surgeon,” but he was only a 23-year-old, fourth-year medical student.

Dr. Drew said he was afraid he would get kicked out of his medical training for doing the show. He said that was a time when AIDS was thought of as being a disease that only afflicted homosexual men.

“In 1983 people didn’t talk about sex,” he said. “If you weren’t married, you didn’t have sex.”

But he didn’t let the controversy stop him.

“I call it my epiphany,” he said. “I felt a profound instinct that I must do this.”

GW junior and philosophy major Mitchell Rothenberg said Dr. Drew was very informative.

“Dr. Drew told it like it is,” Rothenberg said after the show.

Key topics of the evening included masturbation, marijuana and making women orgasm. With each response, Dr. Drew received a roar of hollers and applause from the audience.

Advising students who may have to walk into their residence hall room to find their roommate masturbating, Dr. Drew said, “Don’t put the VCR in the designated living space, because it will quickly turn into the designated jack space.”

A GW woman then asked a question about her vibrator and when it is appropriate to bring sex toys into a relationship.

“Men are happy to get assistance, to be told what to do . especially when it comes to oral sex,” Dr. Drew said. “Most guys prefer to give oral sex.”

After receiving only silence and blank stares, he added, “but I guess not in this audience.”

At the show, there was a long debate over monogamous relationships during college. Many students in the audience fiercely defended their long-distance relationships with boyfriends and girlfriends from high school, which Dr. Drew did not recommend.

“You don’t know how to start and end relationships well,” he said, referring to young people. Dr. Drew added that he fears feelings of attachment and arousal may overshadow strong emotional connections that people need, and “relationships that may last three months when you are 24 may last 3 years in high school or college.”

Some GW students did not accept his theory, loudly defending their maturity.

“I am happy if you have stable relationships,” Dr. Drew said, adding that students need emotional connections that are not necessarily romantic.

“There’s nothing like a smart audience,” Dr. Drew said in an interview after the show. He said he was impressed with the GW students in the audience, which he called healthy compared to other universities he has visited.

“The kinds of questions and the predominant style of relating to each other demonstrated great maturity,” he said.