WEB EXCLUSIVE: Brown benched by 76ers

Philadelphia 76ers head coach Larry Brown is sending a message to SirValiant Brown that his time with the 76ers will likely end Sunday after the final game of the Shaw’s Summer League.

The former GW guard who went unselected in June’s NBA Draft has seen the least playing time of the 13 players on the 76ers rookie free-agent team. After blanking on three shots in the team’s first game, Brown sat out the next two games, including Thursday’s match-up against Milwaukee that aired on ESPN2.

Brown’s only game appearance came in a scoreless six-minute spurt during the team’s
first game. Brown missed on three field goal attempts at point guard during the 76ers’ 86-75 loss to Seattle.

Ten teams, all rookie free-agent NBA teams, participate in the Shaw’s Summer League. Games began Monday and continue through Sunday. Each team has about 13 players and, normally, only a handful are invited back for training camp.

The 76ers play Friday afternoon against Atlanta at Boston’s Clark Athletic Center. The team finishes with two games this weekend against Boston and New Jersey.

On Thursday, the 76ers took an early lead against Milwaukee and defeated the Bucks 82-73. The 76ers broke the game open with a 20 point second quarter led by Jones and guard Raja Bell. In 34 minutes, Jones scored 23 points. Bell finished with 19 points.

-Sean Michael Lee