Women’s tennis coach resigns

GW women’s tennis coach Jeanne Gengler-Swiacki resigned May 10 to spend more time raising her three-year-old son, she said. Gengler-Swiacki said coaching tennis was no longer a good use of her time.

Gengler-Swiacki said the decision “hit her over the head” earlier this month prior to an athletic department’s staff luncheon. Gengler-Swiacki said coaching tennis requires too many hours completing administrative business, which was taking away from the “precious time” she wanted to spend on the court.

The coach said her decision had nothing to do with the team’s 9-5 record or a second-place finish at Atlantic 10 Tournament April 22.

“I feel terrific about the program,” Gengler-Swiacki said. “We have a really talented and strong team.”

When Gengler-Swiacki told Katarina Stastny, the team’s No. 4 singles player, Stastny said she began to feel a sense of loss.

“She was a great coach,” Stastny said. “She was like a coach and friend to all of us.”

Gengler-Swiacki said her resignation would not end her affiliation with GW tennis, and she would remain an avid supporter.

Gengler-Swiacki leaves GW after three seasons as head coach..

Senior Associate Athletic Director Mary Jo Warner and the rest of the GW athletic department were very supportive of her decision, Gengler-Swiacki said.

Gengler-Swiacki said Warner will begin interviewing candidates for the head coach position next week.

Warner was unavailable for comment because she was out of town.

Gengler-Swiacki, a 1980 graduated of Colgate University, won four New York State team titles, two state double titles and compiled a 31-1 singles record. Gengler-Swiacki has won two World Team Tennis Open Division titles since moving to D.C. in 1994.