Staff Editorial: The natural choice

GW Athletic Director Jack Kvancz announced last week that Karl Hobbs, formerly an assistant coach at the University of Connecticut, will serve as the new GW men’s basketball head coach. Hopefully Hobbs can restore the credibility the men’s basketball program lost under former head coach Tom Penders and bring a slice of UConn magic to GW.

After eight years working under UConn Head Coach Jim Calhoun, Hobbs knows what a program needs to build such a team. He is an experienced recruiter, a skill that will come in handy now that only seven players are returning to the squad and only two signees have committed to play at GW.

Hobbs will need to bring in at least three more new players, but he should not sacrifice character and academics for on-court performance. GW has a well-respected core of student athletes who perform well in several sports – two were named Atlantic 10 student athletes of the year. Hobbs should find basketball players who fit this mold and will be genuine contributors to life in Foggy Bottom.

Many previous players’ connections to the University were tenuous at best. Rarely would men’s players be seen at campus events. Hobbs should strive to build a winning team of which GW can be proud, with players who can serve as role models for current and future GW students.

Personnel changes in an athletic program can often lead to a rebuilding period in which the team disappoints fans with losses as players attempt to adjust to a new coaching staff. Hobbs must work to minimize the disruption, but he should not shirk from his responsibility to set a new tone on and off the court. As a first-time head coach, Hobbs is now the top man – the authority his players and fans will look to for guidance. Hobbs must step up and lead his players in ways he never needed to before.

The decision on the part of athletics officials to bring Hobbs to GW is a good one. Although this is his first time in the top job, Hobbs knows his fundamentals and has learned from some of the best players and coaches in college basketball. With strong leadership, Hobbs can build a strong program the University community will be happy to support.