SAC sends seniors off with Grad Week

The Student Activities Center will bid farewell to the Class of 2001 by hosting Grad Week, a weeklong Commencement celebration including parties and social events that concludes with the Monumental Celebration in Union Station May 19.

“It really gives seniors a chance to celebrate and gives them a nice way to leave the school,” said Amy Riesner, special events coordinator for SAC.

Grad Week started off with the “Cinema Draft House” in the Marvin Center Sunday night. The event featured a screening of “Animal House” and ice cream and beer for the attendees. The Program Board co-sponsored the Draft House event.

“It has been very popular in the past, and we are glad to be doing it this year,” incoming PB Executive Chair Alicia O’Neil said.

Events continue Monday, when 300 students travel to Atlantic City, N.J. A bus is scheduled to leave GW in the afternoon and return early Tuesday morning, offering participants a $20 voucher for betting chips or cash. Riesner said the vouchers were included in a $30 package deal with the Hilton Hotel and Casino for the trip. Students can also roam the city if they decline to participate in the casino events.

“The trip has always been a favorite of students in past years,” Riesner said.

The Senior Toast will take place Tuesday in the Alumni House at 1925 F Street. The event is an “elegant reception” that gives students the opportunity to schmooze with administrators and faculty. GW President Stephen Joel Trachtenberg is slated to speak at the reception.

“The Senior Toast allows students to toast their years here,” Riesner said. “Some students are asked to give speeches for their class, and it is a real capstone to their GW experience.”

SAC will host a “Back to Thurston” evening Wednesday night, in which students can revisit their former freshman rooms in Thurston Hall. SAC has organized memorabilia for the event including old pictures and copies of The Hatchet for students to view. Seniors will have a chance to see their old roommates and even peek in their old rooms, while enjoying free food and beer in Thurston Dining Hall.

The University will host a family barbecue on the Quad Thursday for the graduates to celebrate with their families and administrators.

“We chose to do a cookout so that the families could all come and socialize,” Riesner said.

Riesner said the senior class traditionally revisits an old hangout during Grad Week. This year, Lulu’s Club Mardi Gras on M Street will host a “Late Night at Lulu’s” party Friday night for the graduating class.

The week of events concludes with the Commencement Eve Monumental Celebration at Union Station Saturday. Remaining tickets cost $45 for graduates and $55 for other guests. The black-tie celebration will include hors d’oeuvres, dinner, dessert, drinks, a live band, caricature artists, magicians and other entertainers.