Profile: H.R. Shepherd

Name: H.R. Shepherd
Education: B.S. from Cornell University
Honorary degree: Doctor of Science
Accomplishments: inventor of the metered-dose asthma inhaler, author of first textbook on aerosol medications.

H.R. Shepherd is an adjunct professor of microbiology and topical medicine at GW’s School of Medicine and Health Sciences. A world-renowned expert on aerosol medications, Shepherd is the founding chairman of the Albert B. Sabin Vaccine Institute, a non-profit organization dedicated to eliminate diseases through vaccine research and education. He has devoted most of his life to innovations to promote better health.

During his time in the Air Force, Shepherd completed a special radar navigation assignment aboard a troop ship leased to the British during World War II. While serving on the ship, he traveled to 24 countries.

Shepherd has 50 years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry and holds several patents on medicinal aerosol products. One of his most notable achievements has been spearheading the development of the metered-dose inhaler for asthma sufferers.

During his career, Shepherd has also led efforts to fund the nation’s first research laboratory dedicated to aerosol pharmaceuticals at Columbia University’s College of Pharmacy. Shepherd and his wife, Carol Ruth, remain actively involved in the Sabin Institute as members of its board of trustees.

-Kate Stepan