Living up to expectations

Those were the days . when every college brochure built up a high school senior’s expectations of college life. Four years later, graduating seniors spent some time reflecting on what life was like at GW, compared to their expectations when they were freshmen.

“I had a great view of GW coming into the school and a great view coming out,” David Todd Metnick said.

As a member of organizations such as the Program Board and the Omicron Delta Kappa honors leadership organization, Metnick said he has had many opportunities to become a part of the GW community.

Metnick said that as a freshman he was apprehensive about competition at GW and intimidated by the high SAT scores that seemed to surround him. But GW taught him to work in teams rather than compete, he said.

Metnick said he feels he capitalized on his GW experience by getting involved in campus life and the city, including getting an internship on Capitol Hill.

Metnick said he appreciates the opportunities GW offered and looks forward to what the future has in store for him.

“After four years, you tend to appreciate what you got here, appreciate family and GW for its opportunities,” Metnick said. “I don’t think I would have gotten that somewhere else.”

Although Amanda Crowell said she did not have the typical college experience complete with fraternity parties and a large, green campus, she is glad that she was able to accomplish everything that she has at GW.

Crowell, president of Omicron Delta Kappa, was an active participant in both the LEAD living and learning community and the GW Neighbor’s Project. As a member of the Neighbor’s Project, Crowell participated in community service within D.C. neighborhoods. She said she looks back at her participation fondly.

Crowell said she liked the independence she felt at GW, which she attributed to the number of students who left their home states to attend.

As an incoming freshman, Crowell said she felt GW seemed much very large, and she was nervous that she would get lost in the crowd.

Crowell said she is happy to feel she is part of the GW community and is surprised at how much can be accomplished at the University. She plans to continue her education at Harvard University next year.

“(Choosing to come to GW) was absolutely the best decision I ever made,” Crowell said. “Looking back, it was way better than I ever expected.”

Shafkat Anwar said he came to GW with only one expectation -to get into medical school. There were so many activities to participate in when Anwar came to GW, he said he did not know what to expect or where to start.

“I had no idea what to get myself involved in,” Anwar said.

He soon found himself getting involved with activities such as working as a community facilitator in Thurston Hall, becoming the secretary for the D.C. Commission on National and Community Service and becoming the historian of the Bangladesh Cultural Society.

He said his involvement in the organizations has helped him become a member of the D.C. and GW communities. He also said he felt GW provides students with the chance to take their experiences to the highest level and work up to the highest ranks of an organization.

Anwar said he looks back on the four years he attended GW with no regrets.

“I look back and I wouldn’t have done it differently,” Anwar said.