Letter to the Editor: Saving Speech

There is no excuse for derogatory remarks directed towards anyone of any creed, race, gender or sexual orientation. However, an even more deplorable action is to remove one’s ability to make such remarks. I make this statement in reference to Thursday’s article entitled “SJS examines fraternity” (p. 1). While I would never condone the decidedly anti-homosexual statements made by the individual standing in front of the Delta Tau Delta house, I personally find myself disgusted that the University Police would even investigate such an incident.

The idea of shrouding the University Police’s investigation behind a veil of harassment is recalcitrant to our most fundamental right of free speech. I would propose that the comments in question were made in an ill-fated act of drunken bravado by an individual finding toughness in the presence of others, rather than any act of determined harassment. It continues to escape me why people such as the nameless individual at the center of this controversy feel the pressing need to express such ignorant and uneducated opinions.

Regardless of this feeling I will fight anyone, including our University, tooth and nail for this individual’s right to express any opinion he may harbor. My sympathies go out to the victim of his ignorance, but we also need to further the “liberal campus” that the offended individual spoke of in the previous article by ensuring that students, staff and faculty can enjoy the blessings of the Constitution, regardless of how inflammatory and ignorant their opinions may be.

-Tim Foden
junior