Letter to the Editor: MC changes

In response to David Fabian’s suggestions in the April 16 edition of The Hatchet (“Marvin makeover”), our staff has sought to update the community on the impact of the final phase of Marvin Center construction. The Marvin Center staff works closely with the campus community, particularly the Marvin Center Governing Board, to ensure that the entire community maximizes the building’s spaces. Any concerns are always welcome at Governing Board meetings, which are open to the public.

Unfortunately, the fifth floor terrace was removed early in the design phase of the project, as the heating, ventilation and air conditioning needs for the addition proved to be too great. Nearly 90 percent of fifth floor will be serviced by HVAC, but there will be no permanent reduction in lobby lounge space. This construction phase is scheduled from late July to November 2001. During this time, there will be a partition wall similar to that in the first and ground floor lobbies.

The second, third and fourth floor lobbies will also have temporary walls. The second and fourth floors will not have any changes in furniture layout. The third floor furniture layout will be shifted to accommodate the new ballroom. There are no plans to reduce lounge space as a result of the addition. In fact, the Grand Entrance on 21st Street will feature additional lounge areas increasing lounge seating in the building.

As for student performance and practice areas, lobbies in the Marvin Center were not designed for those purposes. The Theatre and Dance Department has two separate brand new practice/classroom areas on the second floor. Student groups, at the discretion of the department, can use both of these spaces.

-Mike Brown
Marvin Center operations associate director