Date auction honors Weaver

Students danced, chanted “take it off” and contended for dates with campus celebrities Friday night in the Hippodrome during a date auction that raised $2,000 for the For Our Friend Tom Weaver Foundation.

Weaver, who was co-director of political affairs for the GW College Republicans and would have been junior this year, died July 1 of cancer.

“Tom was a personal friend, a great guy,” CR Chair Bill Eldridge said. “He’s sorely missed in the CRs.”

Students paid $1 for a chance to bid at the auction, which was sponsored by the CRs, GW College Democrats and GW chapter of NAACP. All proceeds went to doctors at Massachusetts General Hospital to research Ewing’s Sarcoma, the form of cancer Weaver had, said senior Kelly Pearson, a CR member who heads the foundation. Weaver was from Foxbury, Mass.

The night started off with an emotional address by Pearson, a friend of
Weaver’s.

“I’m honored to attend class with you guys for showing up and spending money on a great cause like this,” she said.

About 25 students volunteered to auction themselves off for one night. Students bid on several student leaders, including Eldridge, incoming CR chair Shannon Flaherty, incoming CD President Jesse Demastrie, Student Association President David Burt and SA Executive Vice President Cathy Resler, who danced to Sir Mix-a-lot’s “Baby’s Got Back.”

Eldridge and Flaherty received $200 bids, the largest of the night. A
bidding war for Eldridge escalated with cheers from the audience as bids increased from $5. Eldridge’s roommate, junior Dan Loren, eventually won the battle against another GW male.

Loren said he might use the date to raise more money for the fund.

“I plan to rent him out by the hour,” he said. “I hope to make a profit.”

Many males on the auction block agreed to lose their shirts once the bidding reached a certain level, but many reneged, drawing boos and chants from the rowdy crowd.

Friends of Weaver said the event was a success.

“Any event that benefits a cause like this is a good event,” said junior Jason Osborne, who served as CR freshman representative alongside Weaver.

Foundation leaders asked Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) to help host a silent auction of political memorabilia in the fall. McCain was a friend of Weaver, who served as director of youth activities for McCain’s presidential campaign before he died, Flaherty said.

After the auction, the CRs presented Weaver’s parents with a portrait of their son.

“(The event) was so energetic, full of life, it was a wonderful tribute,” said Tom Weaver’s father, Tom. “It was for fun, friendship and charity – three things Tom treasured.”