Press secretary presentes guest lecture

White House Press Secretary Ari Fleischer described his exhausting campaign experience and daily encounters as part of President George W. Bush’s administration to 30 students Tuesday night at the Media and Public Affairs building.

Visiting professor Daniel Jacobs, who invited Fleischer to speak to his U.S. constitutional law and politics class, called Fleischer “a man who needs no introduction,” because Fleischer’s daily press conferences are broadcast live.

Fleischer discussed his experience on the campaign trail, saying the process felt like “torturous weeks.” Fleischer said it was also one of the most exhilarating experiences of his life.

“From mid-June until the Thanksgiving I did not have one day off,” Fleischer said. “Election night was like the seventh game of the World Series. Little did we know it would go into extra innings.”

He said Bush campaigners predicted Bush would win the popular vote by four to five percentage points and garner 320 electoral votes.

Fleischer said Election Day was the most peaceful day of the campaign because all the campaign workers could do was vote and wait for the results.

Fleischer said the press usually asks him questions 364 days a year, but he was the one asking the questions on Election Day. He said he called news groups for exit poll results.

Fleischer said waiting for vote counts was “agonizing, incredibly slow and painful.” After news anchors called big states such as Michigan, Pennsylvania and Florida for former Vice President Al Gore early in the evening, the Bush supporters had to “fasten their seatbelts” as the night continued.

He said Bush adviser Karl Rove yelled when news outlets called Florida for Gore because the panhandle lies in the Central time zone and people there had not finished voting yet. When Florida was put back in the “too close to call” category, the camp broke into cheers and sensed victory, he said.

When Fox News called the election for Bush, Fleischer described the jubilation he felt, calling it a “really moving moment.” He said he ended up staying up the whole night after Florida was again placed in the “too close to call” category.

Fleischer said he went to D.C. to head the administration’s transition, as another group from the Bush camp traveled to Florida for the election recount.

Fleischer said the election drama should have ended on Election Night.

“The President’s belief from November 7, is that he won fair and square,” he said.

One student asked about a bill he signed as Texas governor to approve hand recounts. The student asked why the Bush did not believe a hand recount was necessary in Florida.

“There was no guarantee of a final recount,” Fleischer said. “Each recount would not be more accurate, it would just be more recent.”

Despite the recount process, Fleischer said voters have rallied to Bush’s support.

“As the 100 days mark approaches, the president has a high approval rating even though he lost the popular vote, showing that he has won support for his ideas,” Fleischer said.

Fleischer also took on questions regarding political bias in the media.

“Reporters do their best to write a story down the middle,” he said. “Journalism is a very respectable field, but they would do better to diversify.”

He also fielded questions regarding the administration’s policy on China.

“The president views China as a strategic competitor,” Fleischer said, explaining that the administration will continue to pursue trade as a route to promote democracy.

Fleischer said students should get involved in politics, and join campaign teams.

Students said they enjoyed the speech and the opportunity to see a high-profile political personality on campus.

“He was very eloquent and is very good at what he does,” sophomore Brian Krause said. “He stuck to his message very well, like the rest of the Bush White House.”