Letter to the Editor: Coaching candidates

In the May 22, 2000 edition of The Hatchet (“Athlete charged with sex assault,” p. 1), Athletic Director Jack Kvancz commented on the initial reports of Attila Cosby’s arrest. Considering the circumstances of coach Tom Penders’ departure from the University of Texas, Kvancz should have monitored the situation closely especially given the fact Cosby left the University of Pittsburgh after assaulting an assistant coach.

Clearly Kvancz had to have some suspicions that something was not kosher. Rather than drive down to the courthouse and see if charges were pending against Cosby, he chose to look the other way. When it became clear that Cosby’s situation, combined with allegations of telephone fraud, was too much to bear, Kvancz gave his friend $450,000 to leave. Kvancz hired and covered for his friend.

Now it appears GW athletics is making another mistake by discussing women’s basketball coach Joe McKeown as a potential candidate for the vacancy. When your left front tire is flat, you do not replace it with the right front tire. Moving McKeown would solve one problem but create another. Rather than moving him, everyone should catch a women’s game and see the phenomenal job he does.

Good candidates are available. Tim Floyd, currently coaching the Bulls, belongs on the collegiate court and is clearly not happy having to start Fred Hoiberg for 82 NBA games. Ralph Willard, who rebuilt Western Kentucky University and is now at College of Holy Cross, would probably be willing to leave that basketball purgatory. Phil Ford, an assistant coach at University of North Carolina, was passed over twice for the UNC job, but most feel he deserves an opportunity somewhere. Stop compounding mistakes, and hire the best person for the job rather than personal friends.

-Brett Winters
senior