Brown might stay if GW hires Wright

SirValiant Brown refused to offer any percentages on his future as a player on the men’s basketball team, but he did drop a hint. If men’s associate head coach Rob Wright fills the vacant head coaching position, Brown said he would remain a Colonial. If not, then he will “more than likely” enter the National Basketball Association draft, which has a fast-approaching May 13 deadline.

Brown said he adamantly supports Wright, who coached with Penders for his three years at GW and one year at the University of Texas.

“Rob Wright is a really good guy,” Brown said. “He’s kind of in the shadows, but I think he’d be the right guy for the job. We need a guy to get the program moving in the right direction. We got some good guys on the team. There’s just situations that make people look bad.”

Brown said he does not want to play for any other coach or coaching staff at GW.

“He loves the guys,” Brown said. “He’s like a father to us. We respect him. He’s a tough guy. He’s clean cut.”

When asked if Brown was 100 percent sure he would remain at GW if GW promotes Wright, Brown hesitated and then withheld from offering any percentages.

Wright was unavailable for comment.

Wright coached at Dallas Carter High School, where he compiled a 92-18 record. He also played backup guard on the 1979-80 Texas A&M University team that advanced to the Sweet Sixteen.

Wright was seen entering the Smith Center after 10 a.m. Saturday for a team meeting.

Junior forward Jaason Smith said Athletics Director Jack Kvancz and Assistant Athletic Director Dom Perno addressed the team about the team’s next step.

“Basically, they told us, `Whatever happens, just keep going to class. Just be model citizens and student-athletes,'” Smith said.

Penders did not attend the Saturday meeting. Smith said Penders had an engagement with his daughter.

Brown said Kvancz and Perno spoke on behalf of the former coach.

“They just basically told us about the situation and how coach (Penders) feels,” Brown said. “That he was tired and it was time to take time off.”