Three homers power Colonials over Hoyas

The GW men’s baseball team rocked cross-town rival Georgetown for a 12-2 victory Tuesday afternoon at Barcroft Park. Junior Mike Bassett blasted two homeruns, and junior Chris Worth pitched six innings allowing one run on three hits. Sophomore Jake Wald and Dan Rouhier each hit a homerun in the Colonials eight-run sixth inning.

With his blast Rouhier collected his 156th career RBI and moved into third on GW’s all-time RBI list.

The Colonials knocked around Georgetown pitching for 16 and scored nine runs in five innings on Hoya starting pitcher Jim Vankoski.

Coach Tom Walter was excited to defeat his alma mater.

“It feels awesome to beat Georgetown,” Walter said.

The game was tied 1-1 early. Bassett broke the game open with a three-run blast in the in the bottom of the third inning.

Bassett stepped up with junior Matt Krimmell on second base and Rouhier on first. Bassett belted one to leftfield lifting the Colonials to a 4-1 lead.

“I’ve been working with the tee a lot at practice, that has helped my swinging a lot,” Bassett said.
“It was really good to see Mike hit today,” Walter said. “We haven’t been swinging as well lately. Today was a good start.”

After Rouhier reached on an error in the sixth inning, Bassett clubbed his second homerun stretching the GW lead to 6-1. Three batters later, Wald hit his first homerun of the season, lifting the Colonials to a 9-1 lead.

After sophomore Tony Dokoupil and senior Nick Iovacchini both singled, Rouhier cleared the bases with a homerun.

“I was in a funk for a few weeks,” Rouhier said. “I was trying too hard instead of relaxing and just letting it happen. I put too much pressure on myself. I got good results today.”

GW pitcher Chris Worth had his best effort of the season. With a loss against the University of Richmond last week, Worth rebounded by surrendering one run on three hits. He struck out three batters and earned his third win of the season.

While Georgetown never made a successful comeback and GW never struggled after that eight-run sixth inning, GW never let its guard down.

The Colonials (20-13, 6-3, Atlantic 10) were scheduled to play the University of Richmond Wednesday but the game was postponed due to inclement weather. A makeup date has not been scheduled.

The Colonials will host Dayton in conference play in a three-game series Saturday and Sunday at Barcroft Park.

Rouhier is confident that the Colonials will continue their winning streak this weekend.

“Dayton is one of the better teams in the Atlantic 10. If we play the way we have been playing, then we have a good shot at beating them.”