New Coaches in the Atlantic 10

UMass: Head Coach Steve Lappas- 19th head coach in the 92-year history of UMass. Lappas had been at Villanova for nine seasons (174-110) (.613) record. He is 47 years old and is 230-172 (.572) lifetime in his 13 years as a Division-I coach. He also coached four years at Manhattan College. In his years at Villanova, the Wildcats went to the post season seven times

Rhode Island: Jim Baron was named head basketball coach of URI 3/26/01. He is the 18th coach in URI history. He coached at rival St. Bonaventure for the past nine years where he rebuilt the program and went to the post season three times in the past four years.

Duquesne: Head Coach Danny Nee was hired 4/4/01. He will become the 14th head coach in 85 years at Duquesne. He is 55 years old. He hold a 368-278 (.570) lifetime record. He coached at Ohio University, the University of Nebraska, and Robert Morris. He went to seven NCAA tournaments and seven NIT tournaments in 21 seasons.

St. Bonaventure: Jan van Breda Kolff was formally introduced as the 17th basketball coach at St. Bonaventure. He is 49 years old and has been a collegiate coach for 10 years. He coached two seasons at Pepperdine University, six at Vanderbilt and two years at Cornell University. He is 174-128 (.576) overall. He has gone to two NCAA’s and four NIT’s

La Salle: Former Maryland associate head coach Billy Hahn accepted the top job at La Salle. He replaces Speedy Morris who was fired after 15 years at LaSalle.