GW drops races to top crews

The GW women’s crew team started its season losing its first two races to nationally ranked opponents.

GW competed in Boston University’s Playfair Cup Saturday against the host No. 11 Terriers, No. 15 University of Iowa and the United States Naval Academy. The varsity crews lost both of their races on the Charles River, while the novice crews took second place in their two races, finishing behind Boston.

Iowa took the varsity eight event with a time of 6:34.80, just beating out Boston’s 6:36.20 finish. Navy finished at 6:47.70 ahead of GW’s 6:49.30.

“I was disappointed with the loss to Navy in the varsity eight,” GW coach Steve Peterson said, according to Sports Information. “We have developed a good rivalry with them and it really came down to the last 20 strokes of the race and they just out-sprinted us. I thought we would be able to push through them for the win, but that is why we race.”

The Colonials lost all four races to host No. 19 Cornell University in a March 31 meet. Cornell won the varsity eight event with a 6:53.40. GW finished the race at 7:05.50. In the novice eight event, Cornell finished at 6:49.50 while the Colonials took a time of 7:04.70.

“Basically we got overpowered,” said Peterson, according to Sports Information. “Cornell is a big, strong team. I had hoped the fact that they hadn’t been on the water much (because of the long winter) would play in our favor. Our plan was to take advantage of their lack of water time, and start and attack hard, establishing a lead. But, Cornell surprised us and rowed extremely well off the line sinking our race plan.”

Next up for the Colonials is the GW Invitational Crew Classic, which will be held Saturday at the Head of the Potomac. Three of the 12 women’s crews at the Invite are nationally ranked.

The University of Virginia, which is No. 12 in the country, has won the event four years straight. The Howard Wilkins’ Bowl is awarded to the fastest women’s varsity crew at the GW Invitational.