Brief: GW hosts Exteme College Games

College entertainment network Zilo will kick off its spring tour of the Extreme College Games at GW April 18, with events including a wall climb, “dyno-lunge,” Frisbee toss and razor-scooter racing on the Quad.

The dyno-lunge consists of a bungee cord attached to the mountain-climbing wall, allowing the competitor to jump handholds, losing contact with the wall while jumping.

“It’s a really cool event that brings out a lot of fun and competition,” said Alyssa Lippin, communications coordinator for Zilo Networks.

“Extreme sports combine bursts of adrenaline with a flagrant disregard for the stodgy traditions of organized sports – they’re the ultimate college pastime,” its Web site boasts.

Event organizers hope to attract student organizations, fraternities and sororities to form teams to compete against, said Bryan Haunert, assistant director for recreational sports and fitness services at GW. The competition will offer cash prizes. Students from other schools are invited to attend.

“(The event) is different than what the campus usually offers and brings out different students,” Haunert said.

The tour will also hold competitions at the University of Rhode Island and Northeastern, Drexel and Rutgers universities this spring. A campus’s terrain affects what events are held, Lippin said.

Students can register on site for the General Motors-sponsored event that will take place from noon to 4 p.m. or on the Web site, www.zilo.com.

-Katie Warchut