Spiders end baseball win streak

The GW baseball team grabbed a share of first place in the Atlantic 10 with a three-game weekend sweep of Duquesne at Barcroft Park last weekend. Both Temple and GW (18-11) boast 5-1 conference records.

The team dropped just one game for the week, a 10-5 loss to the University of Richmond at Barcroft Park Wednesday, ending the Colonials’ four-game winning streak. The Colonials get a re-match with next year’s A-10 addition April 11.

The Spiders roughed up GW pitcher Chris Worth early, scoring three runs in the first inning and two in the second. Worth suffered his fourth loss of the season after lasting just two and a third innings. Mike O’Connor relieved him in the third with GW down 6-0.

Richmond answered GW’s only productive inning – a two-run fifth – with three runs in the sixth.

The Colonials defeated Mount St. Mary’s College 8-4 Tuesday at Golibart Field. Matt Krimmel scored on a passed ball in the first inning to get the team going. Dan Rouhier added an RBI single in the third inning that lifted the Colonials to a 2-0 lead. In the third, freshman Jeff Fertitta scored on Tony Dokoupil’s RBI single putting GW ahead 3-1.

GW then pulled away with three runs in the sixth inning, making it a 6-2 ballgame. Fertitta singled home Nick Iovacchini. Travis Crowder and Tony Brown later scored on a Dokoupil single.

GW freshman Josh Courage hit his first collegiate homerun in the seventh inning.

On Sunday, the Colonials finished off Duquesne with a 14-7 win. Greg Conden gave up five hits in six innings in perhaps his best start of the year. Conden allowed only three earned runs and struck out five Dukes. Tri-captain Bryan Beggs earned his sixth save of the season.

Mike Bassett started it off in the first inning with an RBI single to left field. In the top of the third, GW fell behind when Duquesne struck for three runs. Krimmel started it back up for the Colonials when he slammed a three-run homerun over the right field wall scoring Dokoupil and Crowder.

In top of the fourth Dokoupil, Jake Wald and Crowder all walked setting the table for Krimmel. The GW junior stepped up and nailed a single into centerfield bringing in two runs for GW. Krimmel finished the day with five RBIs

After an RBI groundout by Mike Bassett that brought home Dokoupil, Dan Rouhier tripled off the left field wall scoring Bassett. The Colonials led 9-3 and never looked back from there.

GW won both games of Saturday’s doubleheader against Duquesne, 6-2. Glen Skutnik won his fourth consecutive game of the season. Skutnik pitched six and a third innings allowing two runs on six hits, while striking out five Dukes. On offense, the Colonials played fundamental baseball, capitalizing on three walks and seven singles.

Jason Baker won his fourth game of the season in complete game fashion in the series opener. Tony Brown propelled the Colonials with three RBIs and Krimmel and Bassett went a combined 5-for-8 for GW.