Man assaults student in Mitchell Hall

University Police are looking for a man who entered two Mitchell Hall rooms, assaulted one female student and harassed another female resident March 14, said Dolores Stafford, director of University Police.

In the Mitchell Hall incident, a man first entered a woman’s unlocked room at 2:30 p.m., while she was sleeping. She reported that she woke up to find a man sitting in a chair looking at her, Stafford said.

The student reported that she did not react immediately because she thought the man was in one of her classes.

The suspect is described as a light-skinned black male, between 5 feet 10 inches and 6 feet 1 inch tall, about 160 pounds, with a thin build. He had braided hair that extended to his ears and was clean-shaven. He is described as being between 18 and 22 years old.

When the man touched the student’s leg, the woman told him to leave the room. The man complied and said he would be back later, Stafford said.

As the suspect was leaving the room he approached another woman in the hallway. The woman walked away from the suspect, and he did not follow her, Stafford said.

Almost three hours later, the suspect knocked on another female resident’s door and entered her room uninvited, Stafford said. The woman reported that this made her feel uneasy, and he left after she asked him to, Stafford said.

Another female resident, who saw the man leave the building at 3 p.m., called the Community Living and Learning Center and then called UPD, Stafford said.

All of the women gave a similar description of the suspect, Stafford said.

UPD was unable to obtain a clear picture of the suspect on the security camera near the entrance to Mitchell Hall because the suspect was putting his hat on, obscuring his face, while he exited.

A maintenance person in Mitchell Hall reported that he saw the Mitchell Hall suspect in the building.

“We don’t have any strong indications that he is not a member of the community, but we do have strong indications that he’s been around campus,” Stafford said.

UPD increased its patrols in Mitchell Hall before Spring Break to look for the suspect, who they believe may either be a student or an employee, Stafford said.

The suspect is wanted for simple assault, which he allegedly committed when he touched the one woman’s leg. He also allegedly committed unlawful entry by entering the two women’s rooms uninvited, Stafford said.