Baseball drops to Terps but stays on track in A-10

Despite an 11-9 loss to the University of Maryland on Wednesday at Barcroft Park, the Colonials are back on track with wins in seven of their last ten games.

Maryland held back a Colonial run in the eighth and ninth innings that nearly erased an eight-run deficit. The Terps rallied for nine runs in the seventh and eighth innings to take an 11-3 lead.

Then the Colonials hammered away.

Junior Travis Crowder hit a two-run single in the eighth, and Tony Brown hit a bases-loaded single in the ninth. The Colonials pulled to within two runs when sophomore Tony Dokoupil singled home sophomore Jake Wald.

On Tuesday GW defeated Georgetown University in a doubleheader at Shirley Povich Field. Run production was the story of the rubber match as the Colonials defeated the Hoyas 10-2. GW scored six runs in the second inning off Georgetown starter Jim Vankoskito.

“In the Georgetown series we were finally able to put hits together and capitalize on runs,” senior tri-captain Dan Rouhier said. “That creates a good momentum for games to come.”

In his second start of the season, GW starter David Rodriguez pitched six innings and gave up just three hits for the win in game two.

The Colonials defeated Georgetown 9-6 in the first game. Senior Ron Christie pitched six solid innings, and senior tri-captain Bryan Beggs earned his fifth save of the season.

The pitching staff got plenty of run support with a five-run fifth inning. GW scored two runs on wild pitches and ended the inning with an 8-4 lead after senior Nick Iovacchini and Brown both came through with clutch hits.

The Colonials won two-of-three games March 24 and March 25 against St. Joseph’s in Atlantic 10 action.

St. Joe’s salvaged the final game of the weekend series winning a 5-2 pitchers’ duel at Barcroft Park March 25. Junior Jason Baker went seven plus innings recording three strikeouts, but took the loss behind lagging offense.

“We shouldn’t have lost that third game,” Rouhier said. “It was a team we should beat, we just weren’t able to score when we had the opportunities.”

GW’s offense faired better on March 24 with GW winning both games of the doubleheader against St. Joe’s.

In the second game, GW pitcher Glen Skutnik threw his second consecutive complete game launching the Colonials to a 12-1 victory.

GW scored 11 of its 12 runs in the final four innings, with solid hitting from junior Matt Krimmel and Brown. Solid run production allowed GW to blow open the tight game.

GW won the earlier game with another strong pitching performance. Sophomore Greg Conden went nearly five complete innings, giving up four runs on seven hits. He retired the side in order in the first two innings, and while St. Joe’s rallied in the third for four runs, Conden settled down in the fourth for the win.

Trailing 4-2 in the top of the sixth, Rouhier started a GW rally with a single to lead off the inning. Junior Mike Bassett singled to advance Rouhier and senior Ross Smirne singled to send Rouhier home. Bassett then scored on an error and Wald made it 6-4 with his two-run single.

The Colonials defeated Navy 3-2 March 20 at Bishop Stadium with Baker pitching eight innings and giving up just two hits. The Colonials went up 3-0 when Brown stole second and third base, then scored on an errant pickoff throw that went into centerfield.

GW won two games of a weekend series against Hofstra University at Barcroft Park. Hofstra defeated GW 9-6 in the third game of the series on March 18. GW could not match Hofstra’s offense, which knocked 13 hits off three GW starters. Conden took the loss. He allowed eight hits in four innings.

GW won the second game of the March 17 doubleheader 7-1, and won the first game 6-5.