Tennis sweeps home matches

The GW women’s tennis team won both its home matches by 4-3 margins last weekend against Howard University and the University of West Virginia. Nazli Genscoy and Lindy First led the Colonials with wins in all their singles and doubles matches.

GW’s No. 1 seed Tracy Wei lost both her singles matches and one doubles match during the weekend.

“Tracy was just a little off this weekend,” head coach Jeanne Gengler-Swiacki said.

The Colonials won Saturday’s match against the Mountaineers, winning two doubles matches after the teams split 3-3 in singles competition. GW’s pairing of Katarina Stastny and First defeated Courtney Howell and Katherine Agustsson 8-3. Wei and Genscoy defeated Ellie Earles and Anna Marie, 9-7.

Gengler-Swiacki said she was happy with the victories but said the team did not play well against Howard Friday afternoon. The coach said the team played tired, probably because of midterms.

“Against Howard, we just didn’t play a strong match,” Gengler-Swiacki said. “We failed to get up for the match.”

The Colonials recovered against Howard after Wei lost 6-4, 6-2 to Lamia Alami. GW’s Samantha Fisher clinched the singles competition with a 6-2, 6-2 win against Elena Branker in the fifth match after GW and Howard each won a singles match. The Bison forfeited their final singles match.

The Colonials lost both doubles matches 8-6, but won the third match on a Bison forfeit. Wei, along with Gencsoy, lost to Alami and Tanya Okpala in the second doubles match.

The Colonials’ next match is March 30 at Mount St. Mary’s College.